NTLDR misssing and nothing loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

splott

Beta member
Can anyone give advice, when i load up my computer i cant get any start up exept for a black page saying NTLDR missing i have accidently delated something, i have contacted dell to get a recovery disk of them and they say that installing the disk will bring my sytem back to normal without losing any of my work stored in my documents, the problem i have is that they want to charge me £40 to talk me through the process. I have been told that i just install the disk and thats it, i dont mind paying but if its as easy as installing the disk then then i could do with saving the cash. Any help or advice will be much appreciated

that happened to me a month ago. unfortunately i ended up having to reformat my hdd, hopefully u wont have to. good luck!

google ntldr missing, some stuff should come up. it just didnt work for me.

if you are getting a NTLDR missing error, then I think dell is pulling your leg.. the only fix I've ever done for this is formatting the machine.. best way to correct all your problems :O)

yeah dont waste too much time figuring out. ur better off just reformatting it and gettin it over with as soon as possible (if u think nothing else will work)

I believe I also had this error a while back. That's what caused my format. :p Fortunately, I didn't have anything but a bunch of games and stuff on my computer, so it was easy. If you've got anything that needs to be backed up, the £40 would be better spent on another hard drive. Put the Windows CD in, install it on the new drive, then you have access all of your files on your other HDD. You can back these up, then format your original drive. Now you've got a new HDD instead of having someone else format your original hard drive. That's what I'd do anyway.

If you don't: have the money/want to use the money/know how to or feel uncomfortable about putting in a new HDD, you could attempt to do the CD recovery thing, but I couldn't do it and ended up formatting. I didn't have the money to get a new hard drive.

Good luck getting it fixed.

you need to put the disc in and set the bios to boot off cd then when windows setup comes up you want to select r for repair. it will take you to a dos prompt(black screen) where it will wait for your input.
in there you want to try the following

try this first after you hit enter just restart as normal (if it doesn't work go to the ones below)
FIXBOOT C:

only use ths if above does not work this will copy the file from the cd
COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\

this is the third option
BOOTCFG /rebuild

use this if none of the others work.
FIXMBR C: (try this as last resort)

if you need help getting into the bios or changing boot order let me know.

You will get this error if ya have a non system floppy disk in ya drive and it tries to boot from this, so if ya got a disk in there, then remove it. You DONT need to format ya HDD to repair this, thats total BS. This is what ya do.
1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

And if ya havent got an XP disc, then borrow one off a mate

Hey cheers you all my disk arriving in a day or two shall post how i get on from all your advice cheers again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom