Memory Limit?

Flubly

Beta member
I've been looking into upgrading my laptop's memory to 2GB and so went to 4allmemory.com to see what kind I needed. I have 960MB and it says the maximum capacity is 1GB. Is there anyway for me to able to upgrade to 2GB?

System Specs:
Compaq Presario 2598US
960MB of RAM
2.66 Ghz pentium 4

well wouldnt depend on the memory chipset for how much ram u can upgrade too?

lol, there is really no need for that much ram in a laptop unless you have an AWESOME one. once you hit 1gig ram, your computer will started depending on otherthings more...

Thats not true at all.

Once you hit 2gb your able to turn off VM. The virtual memory (VM) is temorary space on your hard drive. Ram. And you turn that off, then your whole computer speeds up because it doesnt use your hard drive for memory. Its all ram sticks.

But to answer your question, yes you can add thatc much more. But you will probably need to take out your old ram sticks and buy 2x1gb.

Flubly said:
I've been looking into upgrading my laptop's memory to 2GB and so went to 4allmemory.com to see what kind I needed. I have 960MB and it says the maximum capacity is 1GB. Is there anyway for me to able to upgrade to 2GB?

System Specs:
Compaq Presario 2598US
960MB of RAM
2.66 Ghz pentium 4

In a nutshell, no. Compaq has capped the ram at 1 gb. If you toss in a 2gb card it will only see the first gig on the card. Oh and you possibly have 1 gig already and the video is stealing the 40 for itself.

That really sucks. You see I use my laptop for music and and keyboard sampling takes a lot of system resources. You have the really demanding packs (24 bit ones from East West and Quantam Leap). And then you have the really good quality but less demaning vstis that still take 1GB of memory to load a whole orchestra at once. It would make my job a lot easier but its not that bad of a situation.

Someday when I can make the investment but I would want to get a beasty laptop since I want an easily transportable studio. So I'll probably get a mac laptop, they are extremely stable for music but thats a while from now.

ArrizX said:
Thats not true at all.

Once you hit 2gb your able to turn off VM. The virtual memory (VM) is temorary space on your hard drive. Ram. And you turn that off, then your whole computer speeds up because it doesnt use your hard drive for memory. Its all ram sticks.

But to answer your question, yes you can add thatc much more. But you will probably need to take out your old ram sticks and buy 2x1gb.

Thats not necessarily true.

a computer will only use VM when it runs out of RAM.
So if he isnt using all 960MB of ram when is at Full Load, then it wont even touch the VM.

(ohh and to answer the original posters question, no it wont support 2GB)

and i think for what you are doing 2GB would be an exellent upgrade, so yea look into a new laptop. and dont get shared video with your new one :D

Back
Top Bottom