newbie upgrading ram

vijaygunners

In Runtime
I have an old pc about 5-6 years old and I need the ram upgrading for some software to work to use broadband.

I want an extra 64mb/128mb and searched ebay because I was told there was loads of cheap parts there but I never knew there were loads of different types, Ive looked through all the manuals, paperwork etc. to find the type but it doesnt say.

How do I find out which is compatable with my computer?

pc specs:
win me
800 Mhz
64mb ram
20GB hd

*GASP* Windows me............

in order to tell you what ram to get you have to tell us more information on your motherboard (big board everything conncets to) Try to look on it and see if you can find any numbers and google those numbers and possiably get a model of motherboard...

I don't know how much money you are trying to spend but that computer is outdated you might want to consider getting a newer one. RAM especially might be expensive because its so old.

one easy way (or atleast I think its easy)

open up the comp...get the ram part number from whats in there...google that, get the info on that ram...then find more that match those specs in relation to Pin type and type DDR SD and so on...but im no expert by anymeans

go to crucial.com and put in what type of computer you have, and it will tell you what kind of ram you need for it.

thebigdintx said:
go to crucial.com and put in what type of computer you have, and it will tell you what kind of ram you need for it.
thats a good site I used the live help and the woman said I needed PC800 Rambus memory but did not have any.

Do I just search for 128mb pc800 rambus memory or do I need more info like pin etc.

i would use the search option on the crucial website's main page to enter your type of computer, and get the specifications for the type of ram you need. then to find some good prices on ram, i would search for it at newegg.com.

thebigdintx said:
i would use the search option on the crucial website's main page to enter your type of computer, and get the specifications for the type of ram you need. then to find some good prices on ram, i would search for it at newegg.com.
my computer model wasnt listed thats why I used the live help

oh,,,,well, you basically need the following info to select your ram:

512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM 400 PC 3200

(example only,,,,your specs will be different, but this is the info you need to shop for ram).

i think kingston value ram is good for the money.

vijaygunners said:
thats a good site I used the live help and the woman said I needed PC800 Rambus memory but did not have any.

Do I just search for 128mb pc800 rambus memory or do I need more info like pin etc.

To be honest I extremely doubt it uses PC800 Rambus. Rambus is also very very very expensive.

Check your current ram, it's likely SDRAM. At the bottom right or bottom left side of the chip you could see a 1 and 168. If it has these numbers you need SDRAM.

also...try looking on the ram that is currently in your computer....see if there is a sticker on it that gives you the specs on it as far as what type it is (number of pins, etc).

Back
Top Bottom