Do they really use AI?

Nik00117 said:
True AI has me and you might think has not been invented, But AI has, COD2 is a prime example the bots on there are actually helpful.

the bots are still based on scripts. So I don't know if u could actually call it Ai, since it's just obeying a series of commands, not making those commands for itself.

but some electronics have the ability to learn and do things based on the things that it learns and predict based on that learning as well

Im not sure how good of an example this is... but T9 adaptive Text, it regonizes the words you use more and puts them as examples before other words with the same key ins...

kjman87 said:
but some electronics have the ability to learn and do things based on the things that it learns and predict based on that learning as well

true. But I don't think that this has been used in any games or anything like that.

How does F.E.A.R. work then, cuase it is extremely smart, and it doesn't do the same thing 2x in a row?

I was really impressed how smart the A.I. is in that game

Some fancy coding thats all true AI is not invented AI which can solve a problem without instruction is what I am implying. AI which can have some limited thinking ability for itself can be.

niceties55 said:
How does F.E.A.R. work then, cuase it is extremely smart, and it doesn't do the same thing 2x in a row?

I was really impressed how smart the A.I. is in that game

there are just multiple things for the bots to do. I agree that the AI is awesome in FEAR, but it's still based on scripts. It's like in some game u would have something like when a bot sees the player it will start shooting. In FEAR u have like when a bot sees a player it a) starts shooting b) runs for cover c) calls teammates to help etc. Just a little more complicated, but I think that thats how it works. And it will make the choice between the different options either just by random, or then it is based on stuff like when there are more bots in the same area the chance for them to start shooting instead of running away is larger.
Or something like that, not an expert with this.

I am impressed on how the A.I has improved but I agree with somone who said something along the lines of "It's not actually A.I untill it can think for itself, but it amazes me on how far and intelligent they can make the A.I system, I mean could they actually make it so an A.I can think for itself and pickup things whilst playing the game, I mean without actually scripting in "Do this, this, and this, " I mean like one line of script like " Learn this this and this and pickup along the way by thinking how to use the objects in games" It just makes me wounder sometimes and sometimes I have to stop before I track on lmao

You say the computer is based on scripts in that it is told actions to take when given a certain situation and so this is not AI. But is that really different from real AI (as in human beings)? I mean, haven't we all been programmed in a similar fashion from birth (ex. from schooling, parents, etc)? I guess your definition of what exactly AI is will factor into answering the initial question as to whether or not game bots use AI.

Distortion88 said:
You say the computer is based on scripts in that it is told actions to take when given a certain situation and so this is not AI. But is that really different from real AI (as in human beings)? I mean, haven't we all been programmed in a similar fashion from birth (ex. from schooling, parents, etc)? I guess your definition of what exactly AI is will factor into answering the initial question as to whether or not game bots use AI.

Yeah I guess you make sense there, I mean we are programmed in a way so that we learn things as we hear and see things, we pick things up, so we are sort of programmed by being taught, It's wild but I get what you mean...

Back
Top Bottom