Installing Linux

Yarr, sorry to necropost mates, but I have two new guides and FAQ's that I want to make into a new Linux thread, with david's or mods permission, of course. I'll ask around to see if I can get it done. Once the new sticky is up, this needs to go down, my original guide (the one on the first page) has some mistakes probably.

I know this is a relatively old thread, but its stickied so its not like I'm bumping it or anything, but has anyone tried Puppy Linux? I was thinking about downloading it, as long as I can use the Internet and word processing and whatnot I'm fine with an OS, and I know Puppy Linux can do that. My question would be: would I need to install or do something with my dialup modem for it to function correctly on Puppy Linux?

Something I don't understand, I've been all through this post and not seen one mention of Ubuntu or Kubuntu Linux. I have a AMD Athlon64 3000+, I have a AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ and a Intel P4 2.60 GHz all dual booting to Ubuntu or Kubuntu. ( Linux wouldn't install on my play computer, a Pentium D 805, maybe it's the mobo) I have been using Ubuntu since it's "breezy" flavor and now I've got the "Dapper Drake" flavor. On the 64 bit machines I run Ubuntu64 and on the P4 I run Kubuntu32. ( I fold on the P4 and 3000 24/7) I ordered some CD's from Conical (SP) ( lazy I guess, if you have fast internet you can just download the ISO's and burn them to CD, they're all free except Red Hat for servers) and I think both flavors (Ubuntu, Kubuntu) are excellent beginner OS's. I have a drawer with Knoppix, Slackware, DSL, Free BSD, Kanotix, Mandriva, Puppy, Vector, Mephis (both the original flavor and the flavor that uses Ubuntu sources), Beatrix, and I have the live DVD of Suse. I also tried Mandrake (early Mandriva), but I don't have the DVD. As far as I'm concerned Ubuntu or Kubuntu are the best flavors for beginners out there ( plus they use "apt-get"). Oh yeah, I have DVD writers on all my machines and I like Xine. I have learned to do anything I could do in WinXP except some of the programs won't work without a simulator like Wine. ( DVD Decrypter, Shrink, etc) Another thing, the "gaming" deal, it seems there are many games not ported to Linux, I don't know if they'll work under Wine. (I'm not a gamer anyway)

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are technically not Linux, maybe why their not mentioned soo much :p

Anyways I really like Ubuntu, only thing i dislike about Ubuntu is that it doesn't come with a compiler installed (G++ and GCC). On *nix i usually compile my own software.

Also installing webmin is a pain on as "apt-get install webmin" doesn't work.

Google Guru said:
I know this is a relatively old thread, but its stickied so its not like I'm bumping it or anything, but has anyone tried Puppy Linux? I was thinking about downloading it, as long as I can use the Internet and word processing and whatnot I'm fine with an OS, and I know Puppy Linux can do that. My question would be: would I need to install or do something with my dialup modem for it to function correctly on Puppy Linux?

Generally winmodem's (the PCI ones) are a pain to get working with Linux / *nix / BSD

If you want to use a modem I'd recommend a real external serial modem.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Ubuntu and Kubuntu are technically not Linux, maybe why their not mentioned soo much :p

Anyways I really like Ubuntu, only thing i dislike about Ubuntu is that it doesn't come with a compiler installed (G++ and GCC). On *nix i usually compile my own software.

Also installing webmin is a pain on as "apt-get install webmin" doesn't work.

Hey, just off the wall, if Ubuntu and Kubuntu are not Linux, than just what the fu*k are they ? Oh yeah, the fact that you don't have a G++ ( what's that?, does WinXP have one?) or GCC compiler to compile webmin (whatever that is, doesn't sound like an app desktop users would use) goes along with the freedom of Linux, you install the programs you want. Having the abilities you want are one of the reasons they have so many different flavors. In WinXP, I know I've been using Windows since v3.11 ( I know, you probably don't think technically it's really windows either), if you want a particular ability you go to a 3rd party software company and BUY it ( ie, DVD 1 Click Copy, etc). Not Linux, EVERYTHING is free and if your not a complete dummy, you can find out on the Internet if it's compatible with your flavor of Linux. (there's lots of people with advice on a popular Linux flavor) :eek:

Edit: I think they have made great strides in making Linux user friendly, especially the "Dapper Drake" flavor of Ubuntu or Kubuntu. (ie, one click tar gz uncompress, not so much Terminal blinking cursor stuff, which is technically like DOS) :cool:

jws2346 said:
Hey, just off the wall, if Ubuntu and Kubuntu are not Linux, than just what the fu*k are they ? Oh yeah, the fact that you don't have a G++ ( what's that?, does WinXP have one?) or GCC compiler to compile webmin (whatever that is, doesn't sound like an app desktop users would use) goes along with the freedom of Linux, you install the programs you want. Having the abilities you want are one of the reasons they have so many different flavors. In WinXP, I know I've been using Windows since v3.11 ( I know, you probably don't think technically it's really windows either), if you want a particular ability you go to a 3rd party software company and BUY it ( ie, DVD 1 Click Copy, etc). Not Linux, EVERYTHING is free and if your not a complete dummy, you can find out on the Internet if it's compatible with your flavor of Linux. (there's lots of people with advice on a popular Linux flavor) :eek:

Edit: I think they have made great strides in making Linux user friendly. (ie, one click tar gz uncompress, not so much Terminal blinking cursor stuff, technically like DOS) :cool:

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are BSD variants.

G++ and GCC are code compliers, these are how you used to install software. Basically if you didn't have one installed, you were kinda screwed. They used to come installed with every Linux / Unix / BSD flavor basically.

Most Linux / Unix / BSD software used to come in source files (the .c files). This was raw code and needed to be compiled to run. This is why GCC and G++ were generally included with all distro's. Also the windows equivalent of G++ would be Microsoft Visual Studio.

Webmin is also a server management application to easily configure your server. It's very useful as most servers do not have a GUI.

Also many flavors of Linux / BSD are not free :p

Apple OS X is a BSD OS and is not free.
Smoothwall corporate is a Linux firewall and is not free.
Red Hat is a desktop / server operating system and is not free.

Also my 3 favorite Linux / BSD distro's are these:
Apple OS X 10.4 (It's very flexible with the Apple SDK, I also run a network of Mac's)
Ubuntu (Great OS and once again great for servers and even desktop applications)
DD-WRT (It's a small linux based OS for use in broadcom processor based machines, such as the Linksys WRT54G)

I also first grew up using Mandrake even though I no longer use it.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Ubuntu and Kubuntu are BSD variants.

G++ and GCC are code compliers, these are how you used to install software. Basically if you didn't have one installed, you were kinda screwed. They used to come installed with every Linux / Unix / BSD flavor basically.

Most Linux / Unix / BSD software used to come in source files (the .c files). This was raw code and needed to be compiled to run. This is why GCC and G++ were generally included with all distro's. Also the windows equivalent of G++ would be Microsoft Visual Studio.

Webmin is also a server management application to easily configure your server. It's very useful as most servers do not have a GUI.

Also many flavors of Linux / BSD are not free :p

Apple OS X is a BSD OS and is not free.
Smoothwall corporate is a Linux firewall and is not free.
Red Hat is a desktop / server operating system and is not free.

Also my 3 favorite Linux / BSD distro's are these:
Apple OS X 10.4 (It's very flexible with the Apple SDK, I also run a network of Mac's)
Ubuntu (Great OS and once again great for servers and even desktop applications)
DD-WRT (It's a small linux based OS for use in broadcom processor based machines, such as the Linksys WRT54G)

I also first grew up using Mandrake even though I no longer use it.

Okay, let me get this straight. I have Ubuntu on two of my machines (dual boot with WinXP) and I have Kubuntu alone on my P4. I run the 3000+ and the p4 24/7 with the F@H program. I also have a dual boot, WinXP & Ubuntu on my X2 4200+. I like to do a lot of video editing on the 3000+ and the X2 4200+ ( I haven't got a C2D yet, I'm waiting on the E4300) and I've installed a few programs under Linux to play and edit DVD's. ( all without this G++ thing, I don't understand it, since you said it's not a native installation for Ubuntu) BTW, I know what a GCC compiler is and I've studied a few of the higher languages. (ie, C (Dennis Richie), C++, Pascal, some Fortran, even "old hat" COBOL, etc) :eek: The point I was trying to make is Ubuntu and Kubuntu are Linux. I know they use the 2.6 kernel, which I think Linus Torvalds wrote in college over in Finland. I think with some more time and refinement Linux is going to be a real challenge to Windows. I think Mac has an OS that already is in competition to WinXP. Don't get me wrong, I have four (4) bonified copies of WinXP, three(3) 32 bit and one (1) 64 bit and I think that Microsoft definitely rules the desktop scene. (I don't know or care much about the server end of things, I thought Unix was boss) This new Vista OS remains to be seen. (I've heard it was fantastic)

Edit: On the firewall thing, I think I have a hardware firewall with my DSL. I have used several software firewalls before (before I got DSL, Zone Alarm, Outpost, and some others I can't remember) I was under the impression Linux Ubuntu came with a FREE software firewall. (a software firewall is not compatible with my hardware DSL firewall or so the "geeks" at my DSL place tell me) :confused:

Edit: I'm well aware Apple OX 10.4 is not free. Who cares? (check that, if you have a Mac you would) :D

The reason why you can do stuff without G++ / GCC is because Ubuntu has support for Debian binary packages ;)

Back
Top Bottom