Need your suggestions on a new laptop.

Webhead

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

I am getting a laptop soon (probably when they all go down in the sales!), and am wondering which brand to get, I am considering: Sony, Toshiba, HP. I have seen some Acers (my mate has one) and done like them at all, so please don't suggest them!

Basically I want the laptop to be quite powerful I want to use it for Graphics Design in Adobe Production Studio Premium, and also for Web Design using Macromedia Studio 8. I also want to do some gaming on it, I'm mostly in to Train Simulation games, which are very power hungry,.

The specs I was considering are

2gb ram
a dedicated graphics card (haven't decided which one yet, but I know to make sure to avoided integrated graphics!).
At least a 100GB Hard drive.

And finally a Duo Core processor which one should I get? AMD Turion X2, Intel Core Duo, Intel Centrino Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

isn't the core 2 going under the "centrino duo" title? or am i just reading things on retail edge wrong? but either way, go core 2 (or centrino duo if i'm right about the names).

what don't you like about acer?

celegorm said:
isn't the core 2 going under the "centrino duo" title? or am i just reading things on retail edge wrong? but either way, go core 2 (or centrino duo if i'm right about the names).

what don't you like about acer?

I don't know really I have seen laptops with centrino duo and some with Core 2 Duo, so I really don't know. I am wondering if Centrio Duo is the same as Intel Centrino before Core 2 duo came out?

I have heard bad reviews about them plus I volunteer at a place where they have some Acer laptops and the fan is on the side and its damn noisy! On the newer ones I don't like the lid as its wobbly on most models.

Well, I would try the Dell XPS and customise it, but I think it's going to hit higher thant £700, I'm afraid.

Or, see if you can get an Acer Ferarri. Also, ASUS notebooks are really great as well.

they perform as a Dual core CPU. I can't really tell the difference itself, but one is one and the other is the other. Maybe the Intel uses more wwattage, I dunno.

lhuser said:
they perform as a Dual core CPU. I can't really tell the difference itself, but one is one and the other is the other. Maybe the Intel uses more wwattage, I dunno.

Ok Thanks, though I have heard Core 2 Duo processors are the best in laptops but I haven't seen any benchmarks, I'm interested to see how the Intel Centrino performs too.

For the things I'll be doing how many ram o you think I will need 1gb, 2gb?
What OS, Windows Home, Windows Professional, Windows Media Center 2005? I think I will ned the networking features foundin XP pro, but I might for a time go for XP Home, wait to Vista comes out and try that?

Back
Top Bottom