PC randomly turns off

Raffaz said:
Well i would try it overnight, and preferably with a DOS based tester coz i think their more reliable. Might be worth testing ya harddrive aswell, with a diagnostic tool from the manufacturers website, but thats another thing that needs booted into DOS

well when I used that windows based memtest I got the 1st error in about 30 seconds. Though running it overnight would be good, but if his computer is crashing alot and the ram runs fine for 40 mins under stress I doubt it's the ram thats causing the problem.

crank up your ram voltage a bit, i had the same problem with random restarts with my new build, moved up my ram voltage a bit and it became perfectly stable. hope this helps.

mammikoura said:
well when I used that windows based memtest I got the 1st error in about 30 seconds. Though running it overnight would be good, but if his computer is crashing alot and the ram runs fine for 40 mins under stress I doubt it's the ram thats causing the problem.

Im just leaning towards memory, coz of faulting module unknown in event viewer log. Some virus and spyware can cause similar problems tho, so check that out aswell (if ya havent already done so)

try downloading the ultimate boot cd it has a copy of mem test on it and you can run it from a cdrom drive.You can download it free off charge from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ it contains quite a few utilities for checking hardware . The download is quite large at 140mb for the basic version so wouldnt be appropriate for a user with dialup .

muz379 said:
try downloading the ultimate boot cd it has a copy of mem test on it and you can run it from a cdrom drive.You can download it free off charge from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ it contains quite a few utilities for checking hardware . The download is quite large at 140mb for the basic version so wouldnt be appropriate for a user with dialup .

Im guessing he cant do that coz i asked him to burn .ISO before but he hasnt got nero etc

Raffaz said:
Im guessing he cant do that coz i asked him to burn .ISO before but he hasnt got nero etc
i think you can download an exe file as well although i downloaded the .iso when i had problems

Yeh, i'll try that (i downloaded a version of virtual CD, which should work, + i have cable internet), but after trying different ram configurations and running that ram test, im starting to lean against it being my ram. My motherboard is very overclockable (actually it has all the different CPU adjusting settings in it but none work unfortunately) and im pretty sure (at work) you can adjust RAM voltages, but what should i run it at?

Its pretty annoying as i cant just go to work and leave the PC downloading stuff all day.

Also going by that stuff that i posted on the previous page (errors) none of that could be causing my PC to shag up right? I cant see software raping my pc this much.

i will download AVG antivirus tonight, and run that through it, see if it detects anything, but normally i avoid antivirus programs, they seem to cause me more problems than the virus's themselves :p

Thanks for you're help so far guys

Back
Top Bottom