laptop restarts itself

vijaygunners

In Runtime
Hello, when i copy a bunch of images from my digital camera to a folder the computer restarts itself halfway through transfering and the same happens for my mp3 player, i then have to copy about 4 images at a time for it to work and the same goes for the mp3 player but with mps's.
It mainly happens halfway through large file downloads when connected to the internet and sometimes just at random times.

It once happened just after I turned the laptop on to transfer images across so I dont think it happens because of heat,

why is this?

ps. laptop specs:
windows xp
amd athlon 2600
512mb ram
60GB hd

Have a look in event viewer in admin tools, for errors and post the errors on here if ya have any

vijaygunners said:
sorry you need to dumb that down for me lol

Lol no probs. Click start > control panel > performance maintenance > admin tools > event viewer. Then work ya way thru applications etc. If there are any red x then double click, and then copy the info in description box on here. Everything will be time coded so you know roughly when it happened

wow there are loads in system, there are quite a few that say the same thing in description so here are a 1 of each:

Error code 000000d1, parameter1 8f003338, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f0cd0b5c.

Error code 000000d1, parameter1 80000028, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f1ff9739.

Error code 000000d1, parameter1 7000e2f8, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f0636b5c.

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

The server {520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Right this should help with the cd error

You will need to go to the Device Manager and open the 'DVD\CD-ROM Drives' listing. You will Right click on the cd drive and select 'Un-install' from the Drop Down Menu. Do this for all listed drives. Do not re-boot on this step. Next you will need to open the "IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers" listing. You will need to right click on the Bus Master IDE Controller and select 'Un-install' from the drop down menu. You will be prompted to re-boot, so do so. It will need to re-detect the devices and will take longer to boot. Once it finishes it will prompt for a second re-boot. After that finishes, try the drive again."

there might not be, but the bad block error that you mentioned can sometimes be caused by faulty drivers. So by doing that you are either gonna correct the problem, or eliminate the problem so we can start working on something else

vijaygunners said:
oh so that is sorted now

Not neccessarily, if it doesnt sort it then we know its not them drivers. Most computer faults have to be sorted by process of elimination, so thats what were doing :)

Back
Top Bottom