PC randomly turns off

codral

Solid State Member
Hey, i got a problem (this is the 2nd time i've tried to post this, 1st time PC turned off half way through it)

It started happening about a week or 2 ago. The PC just turns off (not via OS, it just crashes - off) and i hear what sounds like a switch clicking somewhere inside the PC

The motherboard is a Diamon SLI (expensive one, tell me if u need the model)
CPU is a 3700+ San Diego
Ram is 1.5 gig but the Mobo will only detect 1 gig of it for some reason
Harddrive is a 300 gig matrox one
CPU is a 6300GS (piece of crap, i know)

Any suggestions guys? Its driving me insane

A few thoughts...have you overclocked? If not, move on to the next paragraph. If so, try it with it not overclocked and see if the problem persists. If you want to keep your overclock, you may need to up the voltage on your processor, but be very careful in doing so. The same thing was happening to me once when I was overclocking because my voltage was too low. I upped it from 1.4V to 1.5 and it's been running fine since.

What's your RAM configuration (i.e. how much memory per stick)? Try removing some to make it so it's only 1GB total, since that's how much it's detecting. Try to find the one(s) it doesn't detect, and keep it/them out temporarily to see if that fixes your problem.

Also, what kind of power supply do you have? A link would be nice, if possible. It looks like you don't need to much wattage by the looks of your configuration, but it could be the problem if you're running on <400 watts. But I don't really see how that could be the problem unless it's just going bad, since it just started happening ~2 weeks ago. If you've been smelling any burning smells, immediately have it replaced. If none of this helps, you could also try resetting the CMOS. Read your manual if you have one or search the internet for one for instructions, if possible. Usually (make sure your computer is unplugged or the PSU switch is off) you have to remove the battery, move the jumper over for a few seconds (5-10 should do it), move it back, and place the battery back in.

Hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck in fixing it.

I'll try moving the ram around, but from what i can tell it wont let me have the full 1.5 no matter where i move it to. I'll try different spots in case its a resource handling issue. 1 stick has 512 the other has 1 gig, the 1 gig is faster than the 512, but not much

The PC isnt overclocked (because this motherboard is far too complicated to O'C

The power supply was only purchased about 3-4 months ago and its worked fine up until now, from what i know its 550 watt

I've tried resetting the CMOS (mine has a button, next to the battery) but to no avail

Interesting though, i rolled it back a month aand it worked fine, no turning off for a few days

Now its back to being gay

Any other suggestions?

Nothing that I can think of, except trying to see if it will work with just the 1 gig stick in, leaving the 512 stick completely out. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry, maybe someone else will offer better advice.

Just tried that, the 1 gig by itself won't work :eek:

So its either the 512 by itself or the 512 and the 1 gig, and having the PC only detect 1 gig

So wacked out

Thanks for your help, i'll await some one elses suggestions

try your 512 by itself, it could be the 1gig :D

or could it just be a simple overheat? This used to happen to my bros computer alot!

-Q

Captain Pooka said:
try your 512 by itself, it could be the 1gig :D

or could it just be a simple overheat? This used to happen to my bros computer alot!

-Q

yes it could be overheating, check the temps.

Did ya try the 1Gig in all slots? Have you checked in event viewer to see if there are any problems there(in admin tools) if there are any problems in there post them up

ah i'll have a look in the event veiwer (once i find it) and it still happens with just the 512. The 1 gig doesnt work by itself in any slots

Thx so far guys

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2600.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01f23206.

LastCounter and LastHelp values of performance registry is corrupted and needs to be updated. The first and second DWORDs in Data Section are the original values while the third and forth DWORDs in Data Section are the updated new values.

Hanging application mu.exe, version 1.0.0.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

A sample of the problems ive had today but that 1st one is the most commonly occuring (20 times today) (the 2nd is about 10 times, the next ones are few)

Back
Top Bottom