New build NO POST NO BEEPS>>>NOTHING

budracer1

Solid State Member
Hey guys im an old AthlonXp user and deciced to go ahead and upgrade my system to an Athlon64.
i purchased an Athlon64 3800 and an asus A8N-vm/csm mobo,also purchased a XFX GeForce 7600gt pci-e card.I got home this afternoon and put all this in to find that the motherboard had a 24 pin power connector and my power supply has a 20.The ps connector would fit if put to one side so i hooked it up and all lights came on all fans were running but no post or beeps,and neither of my dvd drives would open but the light on my plextor dvd burner comes on and stays on.the rest of the parts (ram,hd,etc) are in the pc that im typing on right now so i know there ok.Do i need the 20 to 24 converter or a new power supply or do i have other problems?The current power supply is Thermaltake 420w.

thanks in advance
JB

update!!!
i removed the video card and it posted and i now have wondows installed,so does anyone have any ideas why card wont let it boot?

Thanks JB

Did ya have the power connected to ya vid card? Also have a look on ya mobo for another 4 pin connector, if you have it, connect it

my guess is you need those extra four pins to get ample power supply for teh video card (or other vital parts of the computer). find the extra four pins for it or get an adapter and you should be good.

Raffaz said:
Did ya have the power connected to ya vid card? Also have a look on ya mobo for another 4 pin connector, if you have it, connect it

RAFF is correct, some Video cards need some type of power cable connected to work. The 4 pin connector Raffy is talking about has 2 yellow and 2 black cables and should click in not far from the CPU. When you do get into windows, try install the video drivers for that card you have and then turn off the PC and put the Vid card back in, then start the PC back up again.

hey guys the 4 pin atx 12v+ connector is hooked up and there is no additional power connector for the video card.i have not tried installing drivers and then trying card yet and i will do that this afternoon.I called asus and thats what they said to try also.anyone running this card with this mobo so that we know there compatible?im also going to get a 500w antec supply this evening if you guys think that will help but thats 90.00 so id like to be sure.

thanks for the input guys keep em comin

JB

That extra 4 pin is required in order to make the video card power up. I found a S478 with a 24 pins connector and it was required to light up the DDR2 and PCI-E, but since it had AGP, I would have not gained it. Try a 20-24 pins connector.

Raffaz said:
Ya might have to disable your onboard graphics from the BIOS aswell
i thought of that and went into bios and its the first mobo ive seen with onboard graphics that did not have an option to disable onboard or enable a vga slot.

JB

lhuser is right. Those extra 4 pins on the 24 pin socket run your PCI-E slot.. which is why you couldn't boot with the card.. it wasn't getting any power! You might be able to find a converter out there somewhere.. but you'd probably be better off buying a new PSU.

Back
Top Bottom