Help with Vista. Can you go back to XP?

david76008

Baseband Member
I have Vista, and don't like it that much. A little too much for my computer. It's been acting a little slow.

I've heard you can go back in time with your computer. Something like that. I did it when I had a virus, and it got rid of it!!

I was wondering if there is a way to go back to XP without having the XP cd. This is my friends copy, and he lost it. ya, a $100 software, lost!!

Anyways, I was thinking of doing the same "going back in time" to see if it works. Anywabody know how to get XP back?

Or any tips on making it a little faster on my Pc:

AMD Athalon XP 2200 1.75GHz
Memory Ram: 511MB
System type: 32-bit Operating System
With Nvidia Video card that it wouldnt even let me install right.

No you can't because when you installed Vista it made a new partition on your hardrive, and XP would have been on the old one so its gone the only way you could do a system restore is if it was after you installed the OS

hascet said:
No you can't because when you installed Vista it made a new partition on your hardrive, and XP would have been on the old one so its gone the only way you could do a system restore is if it was after you installed the OS

Ouch so I'm stuck with Vista???

hascet said:

It would only make a new partition if he set it up that way. And if he had done it that way, it would have left XP intact, and created a dual boot system

This is a little complicated for me. I don't know much about computers.

I went by my local shop, and he told me I would have to buy XP all over again.

You have found out the hard way there is no "roll back" option from Vista to XP.

Source the Academic Upgrade version of XP, it is the cheapest option. You do not need to have an operating system installed to use the upgrade disk just have a previous OS disk handy for ownership validation during the install, any windows disk other than Win95 will work, you don't need a serial code, just the disk.

During the XP Pro install you will be asked to insert this disk to verify previous OS ownership, once the installer has read the disk the XP install will continue.

Back
Top Bottom