The curse of the school PC (Second Installment)

avgjoe22

Baseband Member
Sorry about the dramatic title, but this damn thing is getting annoying.

I took your advice, and I got my XP disk.

I took my boot thingy too, just to see if it would work (If you don't know what i'm talking about here is my first thread) and I went to my neigbor's house.

It won't start up.

It is a Dell Optiplex GX60, and the loading screen (before the OS starts, with the crappy graphics, dell logo, and white status bar) gets to the end, and then stops.

I tinkered with it, and now it says something like (BEEP) "This PC got stuck the last time it booted up at checkpoint [HDsk]".

Now, it won't do ANYTHING.

I looked on Dell.com, and i will keep looking, but help is always appreiciated!

from the looks at the replys to this one of them should have worked, i would try this..when booting, right after your computer logo dissapears, keep hitting the f8 key on the keyboard. (you must keep hitting it fast, you'll hear it beep) if you time it right it will bring up the sartup menu that will have multiple options.

the two main ones to try are the last known config that worked, if that don't work, then try safe mode.. note that if safe mode does not load the 1st try, hit clear alt delete, and start over..using the f8 key.

if all else fails, you can boot to bios and set everything back to default, and if that don't work..then try to flash the bios.

can you get into the bios.. (when computer starts up look for sign to press delete or F8 or something) this will get you into a menu where you can tell the computer to look at the cd rom for instructions on what to do next. If you can't get to this window either a hardware problem or the CMOS needs to be reset.. an easy way to reset the CMOS is to just open the case and there is a little lithium battery. (looks like a watch battery) with the machine un plugged and you being grounded remove the battery and replace after 10 seconds.. if you still can't get into bios probably a hardware issue.. maybe bad board or cpu/ram

yeah, that's the problem!

I have the XP disk, but it doesn't do anything - because I can't get past

"DELL"

"LOADING..."

[][][][][][][][][][]

*This is the point where it all goes to hell*

I can't get to BIOS, and now; It won't even get the above screen because it's complaining that a previous boot to the hard disk failed, it goes "BEEP" and then it says that it got hung up and doesn't do anything else...

:(

i think dell BIOS is F12 to enter it. If that dont work just try resetting the BIOS. Theres normally a jumper on ya motherboard to do this

Back
Top Bottom