How did Nvidia pick their name?

they were high, all computer companies are high when they name their products. i mean seriously Microsoft??? lol :p

That comes from him buying the OS DOS, aka Microsoft DOS from his friend. And by tat, he moved on.

mammikoura said:
So how did they end up with Nvidia? I just started wondering about this at school, since our religion teacher mentioned that invidia (latin) means envy. So kinda got me thinking, not a big difference between nvidia and invidia... :p

I bet that's a good connection there. Latin always seems to work its way into the English language. I'm taking a Latin class and am in my first year, and there are so many cognates that it's crazy. Then again, it is my first year, so maybe it's just not gotten hard yet, but it's amazing that there are so many similar words.

I don't know anything about hardware manufacturers' history. Which came first, nVidia or ATI? If ATI came first, that almost makes some sense there. Maybe they had envy of ATI... :confused:

THEpiGUY said:
I don't know anything about hardware manufacturers' history. Which came first, nVidia or ATI? If ATI came first, that almost makes some sense there. Maybe they had envy of ATI... :confused:

Ati was first. Nvida came like early 90's or something like that. And yeah, I was thinking about that envy of ati thing too. :p

mammikoura said:
Ati was first. Nvida came like early 90's or something like that. And yeah, I was thinking about that envy of ati thing too. :p

Ok...that kinda makes sense now. Plus, ATI ends in an -i, making it genitive! Which, if you don't take Latin or never studied cases, means "of ____", or "____'s"; it shows posession. Now just to figure out what "Atus" or "Atum" means...if either of those is even a word, which I don't think they are.

I fired off an G-mail last night to Nvidia. I'll post back when I get a reply.

And this envy thing is not factual. It's two companies competing in the same line.

setishock said:
And this envy thing is not factual. It's two companies competing in the same line.

I know it's not factual, but you gotta think that it has something somewhat to do with it. I mean, come on, nVidia is such a random name. I know some companies have random names, like NZXT (which I'm sure someone will correct me that it stands for something :p ) but this is more like a word, not an acronym. And coming from Latin, that just makes more sense. About 20-30% of English words are derived directly from Latin, with even more from derivitives of Latin like French. And "Invidia" is extremely close to "nVidia".

We're just trying to have some fun here...or at least I am. :p Whatever, I guess we'll find out soon enough. And no, I'm not trying to start a message board fight, I'm just saying that the two words are extremely similar. Cheerz.

mongoman said:
look at the band AC DC they got there name off the back of a vacum cleaner(no joke this is real)

why would it say AC DC on the back of a vacuum cleaner? Don't vacuum cleaners use just DC?

Back
Top Bottom