Hard drive problems

senoj74

Beta member
I have just upgraded my pc with a new motherboard, celeron processor and Maxtor 6L080L0 80gb hard drive. I also have a Western Digital WD800JB 80gb hard drive from my previous pc setup but when I try to install it and boot up, the computer can't find the primary hard drive (Maxtor) or the secondary drive (WD) even though the jumpers are set correctly. I have also tried booting up with the WD Lifeguard Tools disc in the floppy drive but it says it can't find the hard drive.
I am currently using the IDE cable to connect to the motherboard.

Can anybody give me some ideas on how to rectify this extremely annoying problem? :(

Many thanks in advance.

Have you got the cables in correctly. Not sure if you are using the newer keyed cables. If not then make sure the red lines are at pin1(will have a 1 or arrow there to mark it etc). Double check your jumpers, and check the power cables aswell. If they are both on the same cable then try testing the drives one at a time, coz a faulty drive can cause both drives not to show.

when you test them one at a time. set the drive to single or CS.

also, swap the IDE cable with a known working one,

u could also try different ide ports on the mobo, atleast I've managed to break one so it's always worth testing.

Well, looking that you bought a new HDD, I would suggest to put the WD's jumper to slave.

Thanks for all your help, I'll try everything that you've all put down but it sounds like the 2nd hard drive is kaput as I've tried changing the IDE cable and the jumpers are set right.

I was thinking about get a ATA card as both drives are compatible but I don't want to waste money if the slave drive doesn't work. :(

If Slave jumper isn't good, try Cable Select. And try one drive at the time.

One Master, one slave...or cable select.

I also recently added a hardrive and I kept the one I originally had as Master and the 320Gb one i bought as slave and now it shows up as (F:) and i just put all my D/L's and stuff in there. If ur trying to boot with the new one ... you need to fromat it with a windows XP disc .... idk if that helps or not lol

Have ya tried ya 2nd drive on its own? Dont throw it away just yet theres tons more stuff we can try first mate :)

Back
Top Bottom