Cant access my documents on old drive

The Sheep

In Runtime
Sorry if the title was a bit long. I recently installed a new HD, as my old one was reaching bursting point. I have left the old one in, with the intention of copying anything I needed over, then using it as a back up. There were a few problems along the way, mainly due to my ineptitude with getting the jumpers right, but it was all ok in the end, or so I thought. My system is now happy to recognise 2 hard drives and 2 DVD drives. However...

I can access the old HD now named F, and copy programs etc over no trouble. The trouble is, I can't access the old my documents folder, which has all my photos on it! If I uplug the new one it will let me boot up the old one, and go into my documents, which I will have to do at some time if I can't sort it. But, I'd rather know why this has happend, and if there is a cure. I'm getting an access denied message. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

any error codes etc? Can ya open the my docs folder? If ya can then try selecting all the files and copying them that way. Are ya logged in as administrator? Another thing to try is to copy ya my docs to another folder on that drive, then copy from there to other drive, that sometimes does the job

I thought of that but didnt think it was an issue, coz he can access other files and folders. Is that wrong?

Yep, My Docs is linked to his old user account on the old drive so he will need to take ownership, happens every time in situations like this where an old drive is plugged into a newly formatted pc

DILLIGAF said:
Yep, My Docs is linked to his old user account on the old drive so he will need to take ownership, happens every time in situations like this where an old drive is plugged into a newly formatted pc

Cheers for that, learnt somethin new +1rep

Thanks for the help, I'll give it go a shortly. I'm not getting any error message, just an 'access denied' message.

Edit to say it worked! :) I got all my photos back and you get a rep point!

Oh, and I'm not a 'he' BTW :)
Anyway, thanks again.

Yea its a sneaky permisions error that happens when you have more then one profile created or hard core permissions set. Most easy way is to log in as ADMIN or go back into the old drive and just set the whole drive to sharing. Did you have any passwords for the old drive? If so remove them.

Back
Top Bottom