IBM Security Chip

DJ-CHRIS1

Golden Master
So this is the story. Kids set BIOS passwords on 3 computers, and have set them to not boot up with an administrator BIOS password. They are pleading innocent and not giving up the BIOS passwords.

Since these computers are IBM's using the IBM security chip, a simple reset of the CMOS DOES NOT clear the passwords. Clearing the CMOS accomplishes nothing except causing a CMOS checksum error. It reloads the config and password from the security chip.

Now, we just want to be able to use the computers. We don't care if the security chip destroys the hard drive data at all. I was wondering if their was any way i could bypass this security chip.

Raffaz said:
Can ya not just get in touch with IBM and ask them?

IBM says we need to replace motherboard.

And john's thing wont work due to the inability to boot from anything, and generally the IBM's wont give in to any windows based BIOS utilities.

Thats a bit of a sickener like, i know one thing, if ya do need to replace the boards, stay clear of IBM!

Raffaz said:

Wrong model, but could work anyways. Their's 2 normal jumpers and one odd jumper on the motherboard.

Anyways according to HWDSB policy, we have to EXCLUSIVLY use IBM computers. The other thing is we only have images for IBM computers. Not to say that the parts from these computers couldnt find their way into other computers though...

DJ-CHRIS said:
Wrong model, but could work anyways. Their's 2 normal jumpers and one odd jumper on the motherboard.

Anyways according to HWDSB policy, we have to EXCLUSIVLY use IBM computers. The other thing is we only have images for IBM computers. Not to say that the parts from these computers couldnt find their way into other computers though...

Whats the model, and il see if i can find anything else

I'll post it tommorow if the current method's dont work. Time to short out stuff and boot the PC's :p

Back
Top Bottom