Login issue

avgjoe22

Baseband Member
A freind of mine wanted to get a cheap computer, so he talked to a school that was remodeling or demolishing or something like that, and bought his PC from the school for a mere $50.

Great, right? No.

See, there is a netword login, and he doesnt have a username.

We can't get ahold of the school, and so we are stuck.

I am using "WE" because i am trying to helm him out, i know more about it than he does.

I wrote a program that boots from DOS, and it changes the screensaver to a Command prompt - problem is, it doesnt recognize "C:\".

At that point, i thought i was stuck. But then, after messing with it - these output logs come up on safe boot;

its like, "partition(0)boot(0)" etc, i have it written down at home, im at school.

But anyway, those messages replace the "C:\". So i figure, if i can tell the machine to do that in place of "C:\" then it would work.

...except it doesnt.

Help?

What OS is it?

you could password crack the local admin account

or just format and reinstall

if the BIOS isnt locked.

otherwise u can just pull a jumper.

Usually J-bat1 or CLRCMOS

Is it not trying to boot from the network? Go into BIOS and have a look at the boot settings

I'd just reformat the pc. It's probably the easiest way and most likely the OS is full of crap since it's a school computer.

LambOfGod said:
What OS is it?

you could password crack the local admin account

or just format and reinstall

if the BIOS isnt locked.

otherwise u can just pull a jumper.

Usually J-bat1 or CLRCMOS

My post FTW

tell me the user name... try loging in as
name: user
Pass: user
?

and Im willing to bet, since it is a schools, that it will be the schools name, the same as the user name, or the schools mascot.

just something to try.

-Q

Captain Pooka said:
tell me the user name... try loging in as
name: user
Pass: user
?

and Im willing to bet, since it is a schools, that it will be the schools name, the same as the user name, or the schools mascot.

just something to try.

-Q

The computer cannot contact the domain controller due to them being on seperate networks theirfor it cannot validate the user account. Except for local accounts, where the only local user will typically be "Administrator" and they usually like putting a hard password made to withstand the cracking method's used by the average script kiddy.

Theirfor, the best method is to reset the password or reinstall windows. Resetting the password works in 99% of cases, and I just use "Emergency boot cd" as it contains a nice password resetter for WinNT, 2K, XP, 2003.

However after you reset the password, you will still have all the schools garbage on the computer. Likely it's loaded up to the roof with spyware, and has many exploitable security holes.

Back
Top Bottom