Ack! Now My computer won't boot

Lord Mythirion

In Runtime
My computer won't boot anymore. It turns on, then takes me to that page that says that windows was shut off not properly. I tried all of them. It won't even do safe mode. I just tried to install a video card, but it didn't work, so I took it out. Need help. Any help appreciated

Tap F8 when you are starting your pc and choose "Last known good configuration"

What did you do exactly to make it do this?

It could be that the video card you tryed to install over heat you mother board and thats what makes you computer turn off becuase you might of burned something. Im not sure if this is what happened but it sure sounds like it.

The video card didn't work, so it's off right now. When I go to last know good configuration, start normally, or safe mode It shows the windows xp splash screen, but after that just shows up a black blank screen, with my mouse. I can move the mouse around though.

Lord Mythirion said:
The video card didn't work, so it's off right now. When I go to last know good configuration, start normally, or safe mode It shows the windows xp splash screen, but after that just shows up a black blank screen, with my mouse. I can move the mouse around though.

Just a thought here, have you removed ya card again? If so then dont forget to put your BIOS settings back to where they were the other day, as i vaguely remember you changing them for your new card.

From what i remember he changed the BIOS to PCI-E for primary graphics adapter. The card has been removed so it needs switched back. This is causing windows to hang because the BIOS is pointing to a graphics card that isnt in the system anymore

Alrighty then.

Step 1. get into BIOS (usually DEL key, or F2, F1, you may have to check with your motherboard manufacterer) and restore the BIOS defaults.

If that dosent work attempt a windows repair.

Windows Repair: set boot order in BIOS to cd rom first, put XP cd in drive, boot up to it. on the first screen press Enter, then f8 to agree to the terms, then press R to start the repair install.

you will need to reinstall all your drivers on your system. all your data and programs will be retained though, you wont loose that.

good luck

make sure card is out.. start machine open bios... load defaults.. make sure first boot its hard drive.. restart if windows is still stuck, adn you can't safe mode it.. a format may be a good idea

Okay, I just did a reformat... sort of... This comp's an HP (w/and upgraded PSU and RAM), and it came with a recovery hard disc. I just press F10 when I boot the comp up and it gives me a whole bunch of options. I just reformatted it like that... Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom