Disk defragmenting

novahifi

Baseband Member
I have never been able to defragment my hard disk. I have now installed Mcafee Total Protection 2007 which seems to have incorporated the defragmenting capability into itself, but whenever I try to make it start the defragmentation process it gives an error message about there being errors in the C drive and that I have to run either scan disk or "chkdsk" (apparently "Checkdisk" spelt with no vowels). I know that formerly it would have been necessary to switch of mcafee before defragmenting a disk, but mcafee Total Protection does not seem to have an option to switch it off and it also seems to have incorporated that capability somehow.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with the laptop or the antivirus?

Thank you.

just run chkdsk like it says then it should defrag for ya. If ya harddrive is nearly full ya will have problems defragging aswell

How do I activate it? It doesn't appear when I rightclick the C drive icon in My computer.

Thank you.

Im assuming ya running xp. right click on ya harddrive in windows explorer, click properties, then tools and select error checking

Thank you.

Is it normal for it to want to restart in order to perform the checkdisk operation?

Back
Top Bottom