HD DVD / Blu Ray

Personally I think DVD's are the best. HD-DVD would be my next pick. It's cheaper, spacious and you can easily have hybrid discs (one side DVD and one side HD-DVD). Also, right now they're using the better compression codec. VC-1 is very good. I think Blu-Ray uses VC-1 now, but before they used MPEG-2.

If you ask me, the price premium of Blu-Ray isn't worth it. HD-DVD is expensive too, but the price is easier to swallow because of the manufacturing similarities. Becides, Sony hasn't exactly had the greatest track record with bringing new formats to the market. Betamax? Mini-Disc? UMD? Failed. Of course, only time will tell because right now both technologies are still at it's infancy. Which is why I'm still sticking with the good 'ol DVD. :D

In my opinion this format war isn't betamax vs VHS, it's betamax vs betamax.

The world isn't ready for the transition yet, we still love our DVDs. 90% of homes don't even have HDTVs, so there is no point in them investing in either formats.

HD-DVD is cheaper, simpler technology but doesn't have the storage capacity of Blu-ray. It is dominating blu-ray in the market right now, although both formats are no where near selling what was hoped, however this is set to change when the PS3 comes out.

So, all-in-all, I think both formats aren't necassary right now.

I'm leaning towards the HD-DVD format. Blu-ray just doesn't seem like it's going to take much like the era of the betamax VS VHS war. And if that happens, it sucks for those who buy the PS3.

Lac3y said:
In my opinion this format war isn't betamax vs VHS, it's betamax vs betamax.

The world isn't ready for the transition yet, we still love our DVDs. 90% of homes don't even have HDTVs, so there is no point in them investing in either formats.

HD-DVD is cheaper, simpler technology but doesn't have the storage capacity of Blu-ray. It is dominating blu-ray in the market right now, although both formats are no where near selling what was hoped, however this is set to change when the PS3 comes out.

So, all-in-all, I think both formats aren't necassary right now.

I completely go with you on that, i would wait, like 10 years, and then when hd dvds are dominating, you can introduce hd dvd and bluray, or maybe in 5 years

Lac3y, I do agree with you.

Yet, I do think Blu-Ray is the way forward.

Though heck, Betamax was better than the VHS standard in picture and sound, and that didn't pass, purely because of it not being as popular.

Now, that said, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are both supported rather well. So who will win?... its hard to say. Will someone win? Yes...

I know this is stupid, but I'm looking forward to the more interactive menu's, etc...

Being technologically superior is not always the best thing. Betamax was superior to VHS in picture and sound like Kage said, but the mechanisms and so forth brought the cost way too high for the average consumer to use. That's why it's important to remember that the consumer always likes something that is cheap yet sufficiently better. Blu-Ray could potentially fail because of it's expensive price premium, but if Sony plays their cards right, they might broaden it. Right now HD-DVD has the upper hand in sales, though it's nothing to be proud of. Previous generations of Blu-Ray weren't that great in quality either. MPEG-2 is getting old, and VC-1 is the way to go.

wow i dont no about either but the blu rays must cost a fortune...in canada(where i live) they wanted 100 dollars for dual layer dvds at future shop so i dont really care all that much at this point

Peter Lachowicz said:
I completely go with you on that, i would wait, like 10 years, and then when hd dvds are dominating, you can introduce hd dvd and bluray, or maybe in 5 years

Nah, by then everything will be boughten over the internet. Its rumered the ps4 and stuff arent even gunna have disk drives.

Back
Top Bottom