Intel Quad-Core CPUs Arrive November 13

Seems like Intel's dual-core chips just hit the market, doesn't it? (And in fact, they were indeed introduced as recently as January 5 of this year.) Well, barely 11 months later, Intel is giving us its next-gen follow-up: Quad-core CPUs.

Unfortunately, these won't have the same blitz that the Core Duo had. The new chips are for workstations (and based on the Intel Xeon, not the Core Duo), so if you want one you'll have to buy a high-end workstation. Intel Core 2 Quad isn't expected for mainstream desktops until early 2007. Laptops will presumably receive their quad version a few months after that, presuming the power and heat issues are not a major concern (and that's a big assumption). AMD has its quad-core chip on top for mid-2007, but I am guessing they'll accelerate it to try to get closer to Intel's ship date.

I've written previously about Intel's quad-core CPUs (which are actually two dual-core CPUs mashed together on the same die), so if you're looking for performance numbers and other statistics, check out this post on early quad-core performance analysis.

I go this off of Yahoo

I agree about that, but for people like me, rendering and such. If a 3D program could support 4 simultanious threads at once, that'd definietly speed things up :p

Strange its not based on the Core Duo though?... Isn't that the fastest?

I'll end up buying it when some one wants to buy this Core 2 Duo I have. Or if I do go for water cooling, I'll try to OC this to at least 4.0GHz and if it breaks or messes up, I'll get the quad core then :)

I just got my core 2 duo, intel, I tell ya. They are too quick for the market, lol. Us guys still got to refill our wallets from teh core 2 duo. When the 8 core CPU comin out? Late Febuary? LOL

quad core for a desktop seems kinda useless to me unless you do a lot of high end stuff. I don't do high end stuff and I think a dual core would be fine for me (I'm still on a Pentium 4 H/T and that's been great so far). I plan on getting a core 2 duo soon, but not a quad core one. I would think the price on them would be too high. If the quad core is affordable, then maybe I'll think about it :)

I see people who use VERY memory intensive programs using these. Either that or just a Vista user. I remember testing the beta and SOLITARE used 128,000Kb of memory...guys, SOLITARE for craps sake. Just imagine a 3d game on Vista :shock: 3,000,000,000Kb of memory. So, Quad Core could help out.

Piss on quad core and piss on Vista.

Upgrades, and advances in technology are nice. But like Vista with it being so rushed, and then these quad cores that no current program can take advantage of is just redilicius.

The average home user isnt ready for it all yet.

Well, I haven't worked on 775 builds, but I know how to build it. It comes with days.

I'll get that Quad core, for sure, but screw Vista.

Back
Top Bottom