2gigs of ram worth buying?

I think what he means is that Windows XP cannot allocate more than 2 GBs of RAM to a single process. You can get around this by editing your boot.ini file, though. Also, even though your one program is only using 2 GBs of RAM, explorer needs RAM so well.

lhuser said:
You may want to use that additional RAM you have as well. Make it 3GB.

It will only be compatible if you have enough additional slots, for example if you have 4 slots, as some motherboards only have two slots, also its important to check that your motherboard can handle 3 gigs, as some can only handle set amounts.

Therefore if you are purchasing two sticks of 1 gig, then that could fill up your capacity, however if you have 4 slots then yes you could have 3 gigs.

EDIT: My apologies, just saw that you had put your motherboard specs up and yeah it can handle it.

Windows XP can handle 16GB of RAM. How? Servers... They can handle up to 64GB RAM.
DJ-CHRIS said:
Good luck trying to get 6 gig to work with desktop computers
Heh, Color dreaming :(

I know for my system, I am getting 1 gig to start with, Budget, and once 2 gig sticks are at a reasonable price I'll get one of them. My mobo supports 16gigs, and that would be overkill now but once 4 gig sticks are out it'll be nice, lol. Probably 3 years 16 gigs will be possible, with only 4 slots, thats why I wouldnt buy too many 1 gig sticks now cause I will throw them away once 4gigs are out probably. IDK wat im dreaming about, lol.

I dunno if anyone has said this or not, but the limit for XP Home is 3GB and the limit for XP Pro is 4GB (I think, it may be higher). So you'll need XP Pro to get to 4. Also, you may want to consider buying 2 sticks of 1GB and replacing everything if you can afford that, because I've heard that works better than having mismatched sticks or 4 x 512. I remember seeing somewhere that someone's benchmarks slowed down after adding RAM in one of those configs (I think #2), so be careful.

Back
Top Bottom