Messenger Virus

bizarreparadox

Baseband Member
Has anyone heard about the virus that is being sent around as a link that appears in the conversation boxes on msn messenger? When the link is clicked it apparantley opens all of your online contacts boxes and sends them the same link that you clicked on then spams the crap out of your computer by opening a heap of web pages on your screen all to different commercial sites. In some cases it even puts programs on your computer, exe files called something like ringtones for example. It's a huge virus and it spreads quickly has anyone heard anything else about it?

I've heard of things like that. I've heard of one called smitfraud and I'm sure there are a lot of others but that's the only one I know of right off the top of my head.

Yeah this one comes as a link to a photo and above it it says 'Is this a picture of you?', it's kinda obvious in some ways because the text is different to normal messenger text and also it comes up three times sometimes, it was happening to me all night last night.

if it's still there run a virus scan and if that will tell you the name. then look on avast.com and see if they have a removal tool for it. pretty much all av software companies have them so you can choose another one if you want. I remember I had one of those types of viruses with aim and i never could get rid of it and it destroyed my PC. this was also when I used mcafee and i had a really screwed up PC.

I didn't get the virus thank god one of the people who had it had changed their name to 'don't click the link it's a virus' so that helped out a bit. I just wonder how far it spread. Because there seems to be no one online anymore because they all got it I'm guessing.

something like that is on aim all the time, but its always a different message. it will say like "hey can a put this picture of you on myspace?" but luckily im smart and know to check links before opning them. if you get a link like that and its and exe then dont download it.

what you can do with things like that is if they are a link you can just copy and paste them into ie and see if anything comes up if they are a link then the website will come up if not it'll do whatever it does when it can't find the website. Good way of knowing.

don't even bother with stuff like that to begin with, its annoying and almost everytime its spam.

Back
Top Bottom