Changing Motherboards

poundcake

Baseband Member
Hey eveyone, just wanted to ask if it's possible to get a processor out of one motherboard (an hp mobo) and put it into another one (dfi lanparty at the moment). "Once processors are placed in a motherboard, do they have to stay in that same motherboard forever" is basically the question im asking lol. Well, if anyone has any answers or can help, i really appriciate it.

Lol. I think you can take a Athlon 64 processor and put it in a Athlon 64 mobo.

Makes sense to me. But in the computer world it might be different.

Yes, you can transfer it, but I recommend getting CPU-Z and scanning to see what socket it's for if you don't know already. It's probably a 939 if it's an athlon, maybe AM2 if it's brand new but I doubt HP would be using socket AM2 for a 3800+. But make sure you know what you're doing. All you need to worry about is grounding yourself, taking the heatsink off, and pulling the bar up on the side to unlock it from the socket. Just reverse the process to put it back in. Good luck!

jeez you guys are too uptight about grounding yourself. ive worked on the carpet without grounding myself and the mobo was on the carpet and nothing bad happened:p

lol, thanks yall. i was just wandering because i have plans to get a new mobo thats sli compatible and a new case and power supply. im going to try to get another 7600 gt and put that one and the one i got in sli. would yall think that will be good for newer games like battlefeild 2142 and microsoft flight sim x?

Yeah, it would be pretty good, but you might want to just save it and wait until the DirectX 10 graphics cards come out. They'll blow any current setup out of the water.

EDIT: Do what you want John, but if one little spark ruins your $500 chip, you're gonna be pretty damn pissed off.

With mobile chips, they can be soldered onto the motherboard, as i have experienced when i tried to pull a AXP-M out of a computer but it was soldered on. But i dont think you can do that with desktop cpus. So yes, you can pull it put another it on another board.

Back
Top Bottom