free anti virus software???

starmie214 said:
i just un-installed avast and i'm still having problems with internet explorer. i'm not sure if this occured when i un-installed our norton antivirus. still need help. thanks.=)

just to be sure. download CCleaner. It's free and will remove any traces of norton left behind. you can get it here: http://ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?1

after you install it, open it up and then go to "issues" which will have a blue rubix cube type icon by it. Then click "scan for issues" and all the boxes should be checked. It will ask you if you want to make a backup, hit yes and it will ask you where you want to save it. Keep it in either my documents or on the desktop but wherever it says will also be fine too. Afterwards that should do the trick but if not, try running it again and see if it comes up with anything.

best of luck,
Troy

Yeah I don't like Norton at all. It was on my friends PC and it was a POS. The internet would always stop working and you would have to disable the firewall, basically it was blocking the whole internet and making everything run slowly.

I use AVG, which now comes with free anti-spyware that has fixed all the problems I have had. (Except one possible problem that was fixed after I rewrote the boot sector, I don't even know if it was a virus but my computer wouldn't go past the boot screen to the Windows loader.) But it caught a few trojans and a bunch of spyware, have been a loyal user of grisoft's products for about 4 years.

I think Norton is awful, I used to think Mcafee was the worst until Norton crashed my PC. Norton uses way too much memory and it can't detect much. What those definitions are full of, I don't know....

I also use AVG antivirus and AVG antispyware free edition and I've been pretty happy with both. They finally updated the free version to version 7.5 and the interface is better looking than in 7.1

I like AVG because it uses almost no memory and it does a pretty decent job at finding stuff. I can't see spending like 80 bucks on an AV program when there are a lot of great free options. Also, grisoft makes great products and I can see why they've gotten popular the past few years.

Starmie214, Internet Explorer 7 is out now so you might want to try downloading it from Microsoft. It's a lot more secure and faster than IE6 and I've had no problems with it. I'd definitely ditch IE6, too many security issues with it. IE7 also has some nice features like extensions, tabs :) and a phishing filter (this is especially nice if you think a website might not be legitimate or something).

I tried everything you guys told me but still internet explorer is not working in some websites. I noticed that at the bottom left when youre done uploading a website that part is not showing anymore. I really don't know what to do. This is driving me nuts! =)

IE7 is out now, why not download that and see if that sorts it, or switch to firefox lol

Have ya tried doing a system restore? or running sfc/ scannow? if your on a chat program like yahoo etc, get in touch and il try talking you thru it

starmie214 said:
i do have yahoo im. let me know when you are free. tomorrow night is good for me.

Just look for me online tomorrow, if im online il help ya

Back
Top Bottom