Several problems

bbud

Solid State Member
I've been on forums such as this before, and realize I should do a 'search' for my problem before posting, but I wouldn't know what to type in the 'search' field to even begin looking.

Background - Dell 8250, Windows XP

Problem 1 - When I open my profile, my desktop comes up, but then the screen goes black, stays black for about 5 seconds, then comes back on, with icons, etc. (My wifes profile just comes up, and voila, she's good to go.) The icons in my quicklaunch toolbar come up, but the icons are jumbled randomly. One day Nero looks like OE, another day, it looks like another program icon.

Problem 2 - When I go into some programs (MS money, for instance), the colors and screen gets weird, kinda like the way the producers made the screen look in the movie 'Wolfin' (remember that, like the viewer was looking through the eyes of the wolf?). The program seems to run ok, but something is not right.

It seems like an intermediate .bat file someplace is corrupt, and I'm no stranger to using the command prompt, but I'm not that familiar with Windows to go experimenting.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

It sounds like you have a corrupt profile on your computer. When Windows loads your profile, it's having problems with it, which indicates why you're getting the black screen momentarily, and then other programs are not acting right. A quick fix- create another profile on your computer, and see if it does the same thing. If it does it then, try using a different name- if it does it then, you have a Windows issue, and not a profile issue. Do a search on Microsofts Web site for "corrupt xp profile" and see what you get- if you still have problems, post back, and we'll see what we can do.

Note: If you wanted to search for this issue in the forum, you might just say "XP Profile" or something closely related.

Thanks Michael - that gives me a place to start. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, it looks like a new profile solved the problem. Programs, etc load alot faster, no black screen, etc.

thanks for the tips.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom