Server change....

I must say, I think I've gotten about one timeout the entire time I've been at CF.

~K-Pow~ said:
I haven't gotten one in a long time, and it's not much of a bother when they do show up.

lol this really freaks me out. I haven't had a timeout in a few days, but now, just when I quoted u saying that u haven't had timeouts in a long time I got an timeout! :D

And yeah normally it isn't a big deal, just refresh and it works again. This is with replying to threads, but when making new threads it's sometimes just one or two, sometimes more than 5 timeouts before I can actually make a thread...

firstly, not everone in mexico/Texas is dirty eats beans and drills for oil or herds cows/horses...
they obviously do have clean air (or at least air cleaners) in texas which is why NASA have chosen Texas as a base of opperations. or rather why they have not neglected Texas as a base of opperations. They also have skilled people down there are well.
Other than for the sake of making nasty comments about other people I don't get the point of the statement which seems to contain very little fact?

as for timeouts.
I had one timeout today.

I was using multiple windows and running searches in each of them. this is a very database intensive activity...

IMO the timeouts, (when they do occur) are caused by the size of the database.

realistically, there is nothing wrong with the server
there is nothing wrong with the software,
the only thing that is wrong is *sometimes* scripts take longer than the timeout limit to execute, and hence fails, (as it should).

idealy you should look for the reason that script fails.

dirty air is not a reason, nor is Mexican workers.

but *I think* the half million rows in the posts table probably has something to do with it.

look at it this way...
max post size is 10,000 chars.
we'll guess that *most* posts are a lot less than that perhaps
2,500 chars...

2,500 chars is 2.44 KB and this works out at a little over 1.1GB
(so I'm suggesting that the posts table of the database is a little over 1GB on it's own. possibly more).

then there is member data and such, If I perform a search it will search all posts in the database, that will take quite some resources. (regardless of the server).

perhaps it might be better to archieve some of this forum to static pages smaller database = faster return times = less time outs on scripts.

Back
Top Bottom