Can I Damage my Video Card if I Overclock with the Autmatic Overclock Setting?

Drain You

In Runtime
Can I Damage my Video Card if I Overclock with the Automatic Overclock Setting?

Just wondering, im new to overclocking and I got a Nvidia 7600gt. I wanted to overclock it a bit and in the Nvidia Control panel it has "Automatic Overclock", and I just wanted to see if anybodys ever used that before.

It wont damage the card but I found that it never overclocks it properly. It usually goes too high and produces artifacting. Your best bet would be to manually overclock for the best results.

Just to confirm, the coolbits utility for autooverclocking cannot damage your card? Like, it can detect how much heat your fans can handle? Thanks.

it can damage the card, but it's highly unlikely. Just manually oc it, as distortion said the automatic overclock thingy doesn't usually work that well.

edit: just keep an eye on the temps when oc'ing, just test it once in a while under full load, I suggest 3dMark05 or 3dMark06 so u can also compare the results. And overclocking always decreases the life time of the hardware, but unless u are running it at some extremely high (and now I'm talking about ln2 cooling etc) clock speeds it will last for a very long time.

Yeah it can damage it if you overclock it too much and it overheats. But if you monitor your temps you shouldn't have a problem.

The coolbits is a fully automated feature. If you use it in that manner. It will scan thru a table of settings checking to see where your card looses stability. It will then select the most stable setting and use that.
I used it. I'm still on the setting it selected for over a month and still purring right along.

i oc my 7950 from core of 500 to 600, from mem of 600 to 800 runs perfect for months now, max load temp is 81c, idle is from 49-56c, and the auto scan thing is rubbish imo lol it way underclocks it, if u have good cooling then u shud be ok, use something like Nvtray to minitor temps in game etc.

Its unlikely to break your card.

Its normally very conservative with the speeds it gives your cards, but depending on what your running at the time it can give you different speeds.

setishock said:
The coolbits is a fully automated feature. If you use it in that manner. It will scan thru a table of settings checking to see where your card looses stability. It will then select the most stable setting and use that.
I used it. I'm still on the setting it selected for over a month and still purring right along.

u sure? Since many people who have used it have said that they have got alot of artifacts and crashing when using the automatic oc feature. And then a few have said that they could oc it quite much more before it came unstable, but most of the problems I've heard are to do with crashing and artifacts.

Back
Top Bottom