What on Earth is a Pixel Pipeline?

Ok, glad we've got that sorted now...

How greatly does the number of pixel pipelines effect the performance of a graphics card, in comparision to say the speed of the RAM and Processor.

Understandably these componants all rely on the other componants to keep up, in order for them to reach their potential, but what is the most important thing to look for in a graphics card?

the more pixel pipelines you got the more n00bs you can pwn per second and stuff because more n00bs come on your screen at a time and they render faster.

The number of pixel pipelines is one of the most important things that affects the speed of a video card. What you need to look for is core speed (in Hz) * the number of pipelines. The higher that value is, generally the better the card; that'll give you the number of shader operations per second. And shader operations are becoming more and more used in modern games, so a high value here is a really good thing. One other thing: Memory-bit interface/8 (<that gives you bytes; 8 bits = 1 byte) * the speed of the effective memory (in MHz) / 1000. That'll give you the card's bandwidth, which you need a lot of if you plan on doing eye-candy things such as Anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering.

Those are probably the two most important technical factors in a graphics card. Other things you may need to consider: GDDR4>GDDR3>DDR2>DDR...Aim for GDDR3 or higher.

Pixel Shader VERSION: You want 3.0, unless anything higher comes out

Amount of memory: 256MB is generally a good amount; more gives you better results in AA and AF. The 128MB 6600GT is still a decent card though regardless, because its speeds are high with a fair amount of pipelines.

Hope this helps, with any luck you'll understand what I'm saying :D . (No, I'm not insulting you, I'm insulting myself :p .) If you want, I may be able to explain it better in a PM or something.

If any information here is incorrect, someone please correct me. I'm trying to learn all I can about video cards, as I used to go primarily by which number is higher, then quickly learned that that was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom