Graphics Cards

harrybo

Baseband Member
Hi im just after a few opinions on my nexed graphics card. Iv got an Nvidia 6800GS and its just starting to struggle with the high end games E.G BF 2142. Im thinking of upgrading it although im not sure weather to buy a hole new graphics card or get another 6800GS to put in SLI. if i was going to get a new graphics card i was thinking around about the Nvidia 7 series top-end Eg 8000/9000 modles so what would be best SLI or new better one? Thanks for any ideas

I think you can unlock extra pixel pipelines for that model of gpu... That could help if you unlock it to its full potential, but I don't know anything about unlocking them, I was going to get one and read a review some where and the person said it peforms great with the extra stuff unlocked... Can anyone comfirm this?

You can't unlock pipelines.

You could try overclocking it.

Download Coolbits, run it, open the nVidia display panel and click on Detect Optimal Frequencies. Rember this voids your warranty.

Thanks iv ran Detect optimal settings and overclocked it im just gunna give it a blast n see if its done much. i know over clocking it can damage but how does it get damged does it simpily over heat?

overclocking can create a lot of extra heat, as long as u dont say oc memory thats at 800mhz to say 1500 lol then that shud be the only cause of damage i think? correct me peeps if im wrong. Also the component tends to have a reduced life expectency, but it will still serve way beyond its usefulness. Sooo as long as u have good cooling then it shud be ok, just keep an eye on the temps when its idle and under load, any sign of it getting too hot, bring the oc down.

a lot of people will prob say to wait for DX10 cards to come out b4 u upgrade, but personally with the wait for them, and the games to support it i think ur better off getting a card now. i have the nvidia gforce 7950 gx2 and it runs anything u throw at it. but the 7900 is also a good card, and i dont think u shud get SLI personally for the 6800GS, as the card is old now, better performance probably from a single 7900 or at least u can then get sli for that when u can afford it.

harrybo said:
Thanks iv ran Detect optimal settings and overclocked it im just gunna give it a blast n see if its done much. i know over clocking it can damage but how does it get damged does it simpily over heat?

yeah, and most overclocking damage is because of the high voltage, so just stay away from increasing voltage and it should be fine. Also running at a higher clock speed is never good for the vid card, no matter how good cooling it has.

i overclocked it and it was fine for a while then thousands of squares came on the screen and i could hardely see anything i turned the overclocking off and restarted and it was fine ??????:S

1st, use the edit button instead of double/triple postin.

harrybo said:
i overclocked it and it was fine for a while then thousands of squares came on the screen and i could hardely see anything i turned the overclocking off and restarted and it was fine ??????:S

u oc'd it too high, that is why the artifacts came. Lower the oc a little and it should work.

Cheapest place to buy, probably www.newegg.com

The quote didn't work since u deleted the [/QUOTE] from the end of his sentence.

Back
Top Bottom