CPU runnning hot

Perhaps there's some service running in the background you don't know about. Try going into Task Manager and check on your CPU processes.

VirtualDrone said:
No offence guys but doesn't anyone read the first post? It is an Athlon 3500+.

damn sorry about that. Of course I read the 1st post, I even read it again just before posting that question to make sure that I didn't just miss it. :D Well, I blame the fact that I just woke up and my brains haven't started to function yet.

TRDCorolla said:
Perhaps there's some service running in the background you don't know about. Try going into Task Manager and check on your CPU processes.
Okay I will give that a try tommorow as I don't have any time to do it tonight. I will repost tommorow.

Could be as simple as the ambient temp in your room where the computer is has risen. With the advent of winter some households will run the heat from time to time til it gets really cold then all the time.
If the case fans are sucking in warm or hot air then the cpu and other heat producing devices are hard pressed to get rid of the heat. If this is the case then you may want to conside setting up under a window in the room the computer is. It's naturally colder by a window in the fall and winter.
But then if this is not the case you also may want to consider reinstalling the heatsink and testing the cpu fan. Make sure you clean both the cpu chip and heatsink surfaces first before applying any thermal paste. And the paste of choice is Artic Silver 5.

When you cleaned if you took the Heasink /fan off you need to put fresh thermal paste on... if you didnt that could be why... also if you used articsilver 5 compound it has a 200 hour breakin period... i dunno if it runs significantly cooler after that but thats what there website says

VirtualDrone said:
the only program i have installed recently is f.e.a.r. I will check for virus.
But why would that make the cpu run hot?

if it were to be a virus, it could be opening programs and running them causing the cpu to run hotter to accommodate for the processes.

Back
Top Bottom