IDE to SATA: worth it?

XEN

In Runtime
Hi,

I'm gonna upgrade my motherboard and I'm considering one that only has one IDE port. I have four IDE devices in total (2 optical and 2 HDs) and after a quick search on google, I found that you can get IDE to SATA converters. My question is: are they any good? And BTW before anyone suffests it I'm not going to buy a new SATA HD. ;) Thanks!

should work, i don't see why they wouldn't. the only down side is you will not get the preformance boost of a true SATA drive.

You will come out cheaper and a lot happier if you just use an PCI ATA133 card. It will give you two extra ide channels each with 2 device per channel support. They're around $35 to 45 US dollars. I have one and my rig is set up with the optical and C: drive on the ide channels off the mother board, while the rest of my 4 drives run off the card. And before you ask xp has the drivers for it but it helps to load what comes with the card so it's up to date. And there is no time lag in I/O functions.

Wow, yeah that seems pretty cool, and I suppose there will be better speeds as a result.

Back
Top Bottom