Dual Socket771 Xeons or Intel Core Quadro?

It's quite early to say about next summer, just keep watching how the processors develop, like 3/4 of a year is a long time. But I'd say that Core Quadro would be better.

I don't think Quad cores will reach their full potential for about a year after they're released, as developers just dont utilise them in their software. When will the Dual Core Xeons be out?

The Xeon 5160 are already out. They are known as Woodcrest, 1333Mhz FSB. Faster than any Conroe out right now.

:D Nice... pretty hard to justify the cost unless you're running a server though I guess... :|

yeah, they come with a hefty price tag. But if you are going to get Xeons, i would get a Mac Pro just because it comes with two 5160s and it looks really really nice.

ownage said:
yeah, they come with a hefty price tag. But if you are going to get Xeons, i would get a Mac Pro just because it comes with two 5160s and it looks really really nice.
man those are nice! I played with one at the apple store and had a 30 inch screen, two intel xeons in it, 4GB RAM.... man that thing was awesome :D

WOW! That thing must have cost alot! By they way AMD RULES are you gonna change your username when you get a Core 2 Duo/Xeon? lol

ownage said:
i do 2d/3d work and the mac pro is a huge dissappointment, the video card options are so limited the fb-dimm ram is another huge issue, even if the woodcrest xeons are faster than the conroe quad core cpus, id go with the conroe because then you dont have to spend a billion dollars on crappy fb-dimm ram and get really amazing ddr2 ram for less!.

ram is so crucial (no pun intended) in workstations/servers and the fb-dimm tech is complete crap, it is not even supported by most companies. overall the extra money you'd have to spend on getting a dual socket woodcrest motherboard, fb dimm ram, and the higher priced xeons would not be justified by the price difference.

The video card choices are limited, but they get most of them. Ranging from low end cards to high end gaming/workstation cards, its pretty much all you need. And why are FB-DIMMS crap? Sure they are pricey, and a little slower, but they are much better than regular ECC/Buffered RAM. And DDR2 prices are soaring right now, too much demand.

Back
Top Bottom