Please, please, help me out! Rootkit is ruining my PC!

_chocobo_lord_

Baseband Member
Alright, back in June I built a PC and I've been doing great with it. But yesterday my Anti-virus found a very serious Rootkit called "hacktool.rootkit". Norton couldn't remove/quarantine it and since I've been infected my PC has been crashing, etc. My only option now is to re-install windows, fresh and clean. Now, I'm not a big computer-whiz, so I need some help. Can someone recommend something (like a program, etc) that would backup my songs, Apps (Norton, Photoshop, Spy Sweeper), and bookmarks? And how exactly would I go about re-installing Windows? I'm especially worried about Norton, Spy Sweeper, and Photoshop not working because I've used their Serial Keys. Can I use them again possibly?

Your very sad computer forum browser,​
_chocobo_lord_​

_chocobo_lord_ said:
My only option now is to re-install windows, fresh and clean. Now, I'm not a big computer-whiz, so I need some help. Can someone recommend something (like a program, etc) that would backup my songs, Apps (Norton, Photoshop, Spy Sweeper), and bookmarks?

I'm not sure but Norton Ghost is meant to be pretty good.

And how exactly would I go about re-installing Windows?

Have you still got the original Microsoft disk?

I'm especially worried about Norton, Spy Sweeper, and Photoshop not working because I've used their Serial Keys. Can I use them again possibly?

You probably can, but it may involve a few phonecalls to the manufacturers support lines...

I wish you the best of luck, I know the feeling of being forced to reinstall XP...

Oh yeah, if you have the software or CDs of Norton and Photoshop and Serial Keys you can reinstall them whenever you want.

for backing up I'd just burn all the stuff to dvds. Or borrow an external hdd from someone, thats what I always do.

Back
Top Bottom