My Core 2 Duo upgrade: will it work...??

get a 7900GTO, it is essentially a downclocked 7900GTX ;) its cheaper than a 7900GT and get rid of that nasty nvidia board and get yourself a Gigabyte DS3.

I believe that Vista will give you extra effects if you have DX10 graphics.

I would also recommend a 7900GTO :)

And if your getting an nVidia card get a motherboard which is either SLI or has hacked SLI drivers...

ownage said:
get rid of that nasty nvidia board and get yourself a Gigabyte DS3.

Whats so nasty about it?

prosser13 said:
And if your getting an nVidia card get a motherboard which is either SLI or has hacked SLI drivers...

Can you recommend on that has SLI and is under or around £90 ($165)? I also need two IDE ports for my two optical drives and two hard-drives. Thanks.

not really cheaper per say, but more performance for your money. Sorry about the wrong info on the P5LD2, thought it was a nVidia board. But if you going for the 945 chipset, might as well upgrade yourself to the P965 chipset. Its newer and faster than the 945. It shouldnt be too much more expensive either for the Gigabyte DS3.

Here's my bit of suggestion:

Buy all the things you need and wait for a DX10 card. I won't really say to buy a 7600GT, but a 7300GT. Like that, you're going to have more money to spare for a 9800GTx in mid 2007 (See X1337's thread). There will be earlier releases I'm sure, but that overkilling card is tops. So, that's my advice. If you can, test Vista Betas on the machine. I know for a fact mine won't work.

Also, I see that the P5LD2 had the 945 chipset. I do recommend Intel, but if you can try to buy a 975 chipset for ultra performmence, I would say go ahead. Besides, I think the board will do fine.

The rest are okay.

If you wish to use ATI as the DX10 card, get a X1300 for the moment.

Thanks for all your input everyone. I'll have a think about the motherboard, but about the graphics card, what I really want is a card that I can stay with for a year or two. Just something that will let me play games on decent settings... Thing is, I can only use a PCI-E card with that MB and my current GPU is AGP, so I need to buy a PCI-E at the same time as the rest... definitly food for thought. ;)

The P965 motherboards arent too much more expensive compared to the P945s. So get the P965.

Yeah, the P5W DH DELUXE was the first I found. But its almost £50 ($90) more... Will the P965 make alot of difference?

Back
Top Bottom