Better cooling...advice?

THEpiGUY

Daemon Poster
Alright, my birthday is coming up in about a month, and I really wanted to upgrade my cooling. Right now, I've got lots of fans going and I've tried very many combinations and have yet to get good CPU temperatures. Right now, without any overclocking whatsoever, my CPU idles at 36-37*C, and at load is about 47. For what I'm used to, that's decent, but when I overclock to 2.8GHz temperatures may reach as high as 52-53*C. So (I need to change my sig) right now I'm at 2.4GHz, stock. This all mainly started when I changed out my PSU; my new one's so quiet and doesn't move as much air. So I'm considering a few options to help improve my cooling. My ambient air temperature is about 22*C; that's what it says above my heatsink anyways.

1) Get a new case: from a Raidmax Ninja to a NZXT Zero. 1 80mm side fan to 4 120mm side fans. 1 92mm exhaust fan (a really powerful one though) to 2 120mm exhaust fans. 0 top and bottom fans to 1 of each. That should allow for a better cooling environment, not to mention that the new case looks really cool IMO and has a lot of space to work with being a full tower.

2) This would be my preference, but my only concern is the price. I want to get a good liquid cooling or possibly phase change kit, but I think the latter is way out of my budget. I'm thinking around $200, but I may be able to stretch that to $300 with a little bit of my money. And $300 is really pushing it, so even $10 more than that is too much. I'm going for cool; noise is not at all an issue. I want a good cooling kit, not just a 36*C idle temperature kit. I don't know too much about liquid cooling, so any recommendations on what's good would be great. Also, I don't know where to get phase change; I checked Newegg and Monarch and couldn't find any, though I think it costs too much to consider anyway.
And if I go with this option, I'll be selling my AC Freezer 64 Pro, which seems to be a good HSF, but I think my room is too hot for it to be great.

I look forward to some recommendations, and thank you all for all the help you've given me. Forums like this are really a great asset.

cabbspapp said:
Don't skimp out on a liquid cooling system like I did. I bought a Thermaltake Bigwater SE and it wasnt really worth it, temps weren't that much better than the Thermaltake Tower 112 I had.

I would go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999633

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835108075

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835108076

Alright, that last one looks really nice from what some Google'd reviews say. Looks like I'll have to drill some holes in my case in order to get the tubing though. Anyone have this and can vouch for it being good?

Also, I have some unrelated questions on voltages. Does "Over-Voltage CPU VCore by offset 200mV" mean in simple terms "add .2 volts (to the CPU obviously)"? And if I did this, would the only downside be heat? I'm not going to do it immediately because my processor is already hot enough, but when/if I get that last LC system, it's safe to do it, right?

And thanks, cabbspapp, for your quick response. I've already had my experiences with cheap LC systems...:-\ On my newest system, IBUYPOWER put in a "G-Cooler" for free, and 1: it sucked, and 2: the pump failed. Thanks again for all the help.

If your getting a new case, you want one with 120mm fans. All the latest cases by good manufacturers have them - accept no less.

Swiftech make excellent water cooling systems, I would vouch for them.

For the case, if you got the money:

Antec P180

It has seperate compartments for the different components of your PC, meaning for example hot air from your hard drives doesn't push up your internal temperatures. Its the ultimate PC case!

Alternatively, look at the (Akasa?) Eclipse, (Akasa?) Mirage, the Jeantech Phong I or Jeantech Phong II, or the Coolermaster Centurion 530. I have the last case and love it - it has 2 120mm fans and I love it.

Just a question:

Why are you getting all worried about temperatures???

The thermal cutoff point is 80C, and you should only worry if it goes over 70 or so. I would NOT be worried by 50C, especially at 2.8ghz.

I wouldn't be worried mate - although, I would ask for an Antec P180 :D

prosser13 said:
Just a question:

Why are you getting all worried about temperatures???

The thermal cutoff point is 80C, and you should only worry if it goes over 70 or so. I would NOT be worried by 50C, especially at 2.8ghz.

I wouldn't be worried mate - although, I would ask for an Antec P180 :D

As much as I'd love to hear that, I've heard not to let it go over 55*C. I do not want my processor to be running at 70 degrees.

TRDCorolla said:
AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939, 1.4 volts) (65°C)

Though some of the temperatures in that post were questionable, I've heard about the same temperatures for the cutoff point. I don't want to push it all the way to 65. I want to keep it under 50, overclocked. And yes, I've had my processor at 64 before because the pump in my previous cheapo LC kit failed and it cut off within a second later, so I know that's pretty accurate. Also, one reason that I want them low is because I want the processor life to be long, and I don't want it to melt. This is probably going to be the only computer I get for a very long while, so I don't want to screw the processor and possibly even the motherboard up.

And I'm going to re-post this so no one forgets about it. I want these answered.
Also, I have some unrelated questions on voltages. Does "Over-Voltage CPU VCore by offset 200mV" mean in simple terms "add .2 volts (to the CPU obviously)"? And if I did this, would the only downside be heat? I'm not going to do it immediately because my processor is already hot enough, but when/if I get that last LC system, it's safe to do it, right?

Ok, I might think about it, but I think I found my problem. Last night I reapplied some arctic silver and from what it looks like, my temperatures don't exceed 43*C, even overclocked. And it hasn't even had its 200 hours. So this looks to be pretty good. Thanks a bunch guys, I may get a new case or some liquid cooling, but the chances look slim now. But can anyone answer my questions on voltages? I know it was kinda off-topic, but...anyone?

Does "Over-Voltage CPU VCore by offset 200mV" mean in simple terms "add .2 volts (to the CPU obviously)"? And if I did this, would the only downside be heat, or is there a possibility that my processor would be fried from excessive voltage? Again, thanks for the help thus far.

Back
Top Bottom