6600GT GPU Core Temp

eViLoNe

In Runtime
OK, I've just been playing a game of BF2142 Demo, and I've had NVIDIA Control Panel open on my second monitor keeping a eye on my graphics card temp.

Now, the weird thing is, while I was playing, it was getting up to 115C, and when the game is closed, and the GPU is idle, it still only seems to go down to 60C minimum.

I know the control panel is getting the temperature straight from the driver, because I checked in Everest, and it's saying the GFX temp sensor is just NRV-DRIVER, not a hardware sensor.

So the question is, should I be worried about my card seemingly being over 100C, or should I just put it down to the fact that the software sensor is probably playing games with me?

eViLoNe said:
OK, I've just been playing a game of BF2142 Demo, and I've had NVIDIA Control Panel open on my second monitor keeping a eye on my graphics card temp.

Now, the weird thing is, while I was playing, it was getting up to 115C, and when the game is closed, and the GPU is idle, it still only seems to go down to 60C minimum.

I know the control panel is getting the temperature straight from the driver, because I checked in Everest, and it's saying the GFX temp sensor is just NRV-DRIVER, not a hardware sensor.

So the question is, should I be worried about my card seemingly being over 100C, or should I just put it down to the fact that the software sensor is probably playing games with me?
Yes, 100c is hot. If you think the drive is messing up on the temp of the GPU. Put your hand on the heatsink and see if it gets superhot, if it is than you have a problem but it if it feels cool than the Driver is reading it wrong

X1337 said:
Yes, 100c is hot. If you think the drive is messing up on the temp of the GPU. Put your hand on the heatsink and see if it gets superhot, if it is than you have a problem but it if it feels cool than the Driver is reading it wrong

Yeah, I knew 100C is getting way to hot for a GPU.

I had my finger on the back of the card where the GPU chip actually is while I was playing the game a bit earlier, and it didn't seem to hot, I'm thinking the driver is actually lying to me.

FYI; the card is a Albatron 6600GT AGP

OK, on second inspection, I just started a game up, and it shot up to 88C, and I went and placed my finger on the back of the card itself, and needless to say, I got my finger off their quick smart, it's reaaally hot.

This card is all of a week or so old. I'm thinking its cooling could be bung or something.

eViLoNe said:
OK, on second inspection, I just started a game up, and it shot up to 88C, and I went and placed my finger on the back of the card itself, and needless to say, I got my finger off their quick smart, it's reaaally hot.

This card is all of a week or so old. I'm thinking its cooling could be bung or something.
Ok, you mit have to put new thermal past on the heatsink / GPU. The white crap that comes with the cards dont transfer heat the well and give the gpu more heat :)

Yeah, it's weird.

This 6600GT is a replacement for my old Prolink card that went bung, and that card was always about 30-40C idle, where as this one is so much hotter. I have to find some decent paste now, lol.

eViLoNe said:
Yeah, it's weird.

This 6600GT is a replacement for my old Prolink card that went bung, and that card was always about 30-40C idle, where as this one is so much hotter. I have to find some decent paste now, lol.
Also, check and make sure your fan speed is 100% or close to that. Most people get heating problems becuase there fan is dead or just spining @ slow speed that no air is getting there but im not a good nvidia person so where to get your fan control for your card I dont know. www.google.ca :)

Yeah, I put my finger just above the fan before just to check it was still spinning, which is was, but i'm going to lay my computer onto it's side shortly and check that it's actually spinning at a reasonable speed.

eViLoNe said:
Yeah, I put my finger just above the fan before just to check it was still spinning, which is was, but i'm going to lay my computer onto it's side shortly and check that it's actually spinning at a reasonable speed.
If you do find a program to control your fan on the video card but the GPU is still over 100c and feels hot... redo the thermal past, I would recommend AS5 if you have any. If you still have over 100c on the temp mon and feels out, take it back in. The Heatsink isnt working great for the GPU or just get a copper heatsink with heatpipes like I did

X1337 said:
If you do find a program to control your fan on the video card but the GPU is still over 100c and feels hot... redo the thermal past, I would recommend AS5 if you have any. If you still have over 100c on the temp mon and feels out, take it back in. The Heatsink isnt working great for the GPU or just get a copper heatsink with heatpipes like I did

Yeah i'm trying to find my AS5 as we speak haha. Hopefully it's not gunna have to invovle taking the card back, but yeah. If it continues to be a problem, I'll get it a nice heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom