Help With SP2 Access Denied Error

maximus01can

Solid State Member
Howdy All,

I've been looking at this blue star in my system tray now for a month or more and since SP1 won't be supported anymore I'm forced to go to SP2. Checked around the archives and can't find an answer to the problem I'm having trying to install SP2. So here it is, when I try installing SP2 it gets through the installation and then stops and gives me an "Access Denied" error with nothing else to go by. So I tried installing from a disc provided by our company with the same old results"Access Denied" error?? I have no Idea why it won't complete the installation, but I think I need to update to SP2 and don't know where to go from here. Now I've done some searching and found this link on the Windows website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903219/en-us

The part I'm unsure of is the resolution.:

RESOLUTION
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, we recommend that you use one of the following methods:

• Use a fully qualified URL in the ActiveX control code or in the Visual Basic DHTML application that calls the BaseWindow.Navigate method.
• Use the location.href method instead of using the Navigate method.

Additionally, although we do not recommend that you disable Zone Elevation Blocks, you can do this by changing the following registry entry to 0 (zero):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft \Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ZONE_ELEVATION\iexplorer.exe
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft \Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ZONE_ELEVATION
3. Right-click iexplorer.exe, and then click Modify.
4. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
5. On the File menu, click Exit.

The problem is, I don't have a clue how to use a "fully qualified URL in the AciveX control code" or the "location.href method instead of using the navigate method". or whether their registry instructions will cover the above items. I have no problems with going into the registry and changing it, but I don't know whether it's the fix or just part of the fix.

I'm running WinXp Home on a Dell Dimension 4400, 1.7Ghz, 756Mb ram. Hopefully someone can shed some light for me.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Max

The link that you have put is for AFTER you have managed to install service pack 2
and the way you said you can't install service pack 2

Okay, you may be right on that one so here's the link to the correct Knowledgebase article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148/en-us

The problem I have now is that when I try to run %windir%\svcpack.log file windows says it can't find the file. Is there some way to get this log file back? Also I know that SP1 is not being supported anymore, but is it imparative that I upgrade to SP2? I guess if I can't get around this I'll have to try reinstalling the OS, but I'd really like to avoid that as it's a bunch of messing around.

Cheers,
Max

Try doing a repair install of Windows XP.

Boot from the original installer disc, and follow the instructions. It should restore and repair everything without deleting what you already have installed etc.

Thanks UK,

Will any version of XP home work as I've seemed to misplace my reinstallation disc, but I have my daughters reinstallation disc for her dell dimension?? Can I just repair the OS without messing with any of the drivers etc.?

Thanks in Advance,

Cheers,
Max

Back
Top Bottom