Come in here guys, Chimaera Needs help!

Chimaera1

Daemon Poster
Allright guys I'm going to upgrade my CPU, But my knowledge has limits.
I'm going to stay with my S939 mobo due to my budget. I was going to get a core 2 duo with mobo but that wasn't cost effective for me. So I'm going to upgrade to
Athlon 64 X2 4400
At that price I would have just enough to get a SATA HDD aswell.
or should I wait for the core 2 Duo to come down in price?
In that case I would have to wait another year before upgrading. Any advice or alternatives?

I would Say that Athlon 64 X2 should be good, I just bought the Athlon 64 3800+ X2 so that can only be better. Only thing would be I would tell you to go with Socket AM2, but 929 should be alright. Ive always liked AMD and this thing performs like a beast, I can download stuff, Keep aim open, run all types of stuff inlcuding games at the same time and It runs smooth, Just imagine what a 4400+ will be like. Thats what a 2.2 ghz?

EDIT: PLEASE PLEASE buy from Newegg.com youll save about 100$ from that site that you have there

Id like to know what your running, just out of curiosity.

And power to price, id take a Skt 939 rather then waiting a year.

The 4400+ is a nice processor, but I beleive you can save some cash.

See, the 4400 is 2.2ghz, and 2x1mb L2 catch. While the 3800 is 2.0ghz with 2x512mb catch. I personally dont think that catch is even going to change performance, whilist the 200mhz may. But.. Thats a simple fix. A slight over clock can fix that problem and it will save you some $$$

Drain You said:
I would Say that Athlon 64 X2 should be good, I just bought the Athlon 64 3800+ X2 so that can only be better. Only thing would be I would tell you to go with Socket AM2, but 929 should be alright. Ive always liked AMD and this thing performs like a beast, I can download stuff, Keep aim open, run all types of stuff inlcuding games at the same time and It runs smooth, Just imagine what a 4400+ will be like. Thats what a 2.2 ghz?

EDIT: PLEASE PLEASE buy from Newegg.com youll save about 100$ from that site that you have there

Well he lives in Australia (if I remember correctly) so the price on that website is in Australian dollars.

And I agree with arrizx, u could get the 3800+ and save some money. The cache doesn't make a huge difference. With a 3800+ u can oc it 200mhz and it becomes equal to the 4200+, atleast I think so. :D I wouldn't bother waiting for a long time, currently cpu's are already quite cheap.

ArrizX said:
Id like to know what your running, just out of curiosity.

And power to price, id take a Skt 939 rather then waiting a year.

The 4400+ is a nice processor, but I beleive you can save some cash.

See, the 4400 is 2.2ghz, and 2x1mb L2 catch. While the 3800 is 2.0ghz with 2x512mb catch. I personally dont think that catch is even going to change performance, whilist the 200mhz may. But.. Thats a simple fix. A slight over clock can fix that problem and it will save you some $$$

Depends on what you do. Games won't really benefit too much from the cache, but certain applications like multimedia, media editing etc do benefit from it.

Personally I say you should go with the 4400+ if you can afford it. Extra cache won't hurt, but if you're going to use this for gaming most of the time, then just save money and go with the 3800+. :)

Ahhh, Thanks guys. I'll be using it for 50%Gaming, 25% DVD/CD burning, 25% media editing(Cool Edit Pro/Photoshop etc...) How hard is it to OC? I haven't done it before...

And Arrizx ATM:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Gigabyte K8 Triton mobo
2GB DDR G.Skill
200GB IDE (I'll get a SATA soon...)
7800GT
Windows XP/Knoppix linux

Overclocking isn't hard. Just slowly ease the FSB higher bit by bit and stress test it for an hour or two. It's a timely process, but some have fun with it.

I think I'll just stick to getting a X2 4400+. I will however put my 4000+ into my old PC and have a go at OCing for the experience though. Maybe then I could OC the 4400?

Hmmmm. I'm going to start posting here again... Alvino's Post count is now huge...

Back
Top Bottom