Blue screen of death problem

If you go into your BIOS you should see a boot order, change it so it boots from your CD-Rom first.

Your BIOS could be F2, del, F1 i'm not sure but once in there you should be able to find the boot order and change it.

~K-Pow~ said:
If you go into your BIOS you should see a boot order, change it so it boots from your CD-Rom first.

Your BIOS could be F2, del, F1 i'm not sure but once in there you should be able to find the boot order and change it.
Done that. I cant boot to CD because I get the blue screen of death, thanks tho

To translate what lambofgod posted about that stop error msg, It means that most likely your hdd has failed. Bad sectors, Master Boot Record corruption and other such things can prevent windows from installing and will give you said error message.

WHAT TO DO:
Find out who makes your Hard Drive. Then go to Their website and download their Harddrive Diagnostics utility. Maxtor's PowerMAX will usually be sufficient for most makes of hdds but may not work with others. WD is one of those.
Maxtor: www.Maxtor.com
Seagate: www.Seagate.com
Samsung: www.Samsung.com
Western Digital: www.Westerndigital.com
Fujitsu: www.Fujitsu.com
IBM/Hitachi : www.hitatchi.com

Not all manufacturers have diagnostics tools for their hdds. PowerMAX is usually sufficient for use on almost all drives.

All in all, You may be looking at buying a new harddrive friend.

NOTE: This can also be caused by a Bad Ram stick. Although with that error code, it's unlikely that it would be wrong.

LambOfGod said:
i know what he said, and he is mistaken.

he CAN reinstall, its just a matter of setting the correct boot order, and pressing a key........

Just some advice, Try not to assume. Unless you are there with him/her, you can never say exactly what is going on. In this case, You were mistaken.

Asmodean said:
To translate what lambofgod posted about that stop error msg, It means that most likely your hdd has failed. Bad sectors, Master Boot Record corruption and other such things can prevent windows from installing and will give you said error message.

WHAT TO DO:
Find out who makes your Hard Drive. Then go to Their website and download their Harddrive Diagnostics utility. Maxtor's PowerMAX will usually be sufficient for most makes of hdds but may not work with others. WD is one of those.
Maxtor: www.Maxtor.com
Seagate: www.Seagate.com
Samsung: www.Samsung.com
Western Digital: www.Westerndigital.com
Fujitsu: www.Fujitsu.com
IBM/Hitachi : www.hitatchi.com

Not all manufacturers have diagnostics tools for their hdds. PowerMAX is usually sufficient for use on almost all drives.

All in all, You may be looking at buying a new harddrive friend.

NOTE: This can also be caused by a Bad Ram stick. Although with that error code, it's unlikely that it would be wrong.
Ok thanks alot dude, I wont forget it :)

Asmodean said:
Just some advice, Try not to assume. Unless you are there with him/her, you can never say exactly what is going on. In this case, You were mistaken.

Alright let me rephrase he CAN reinstall its just a matter of setting the correct boot order, presssing a key.

and having a working harddrive...

Another method that Asmodean forgot to mention, is to try a low level format, sometimes called writng 0s to the drive.

you can get the utility that does this process here.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low-level-format.html

there are links in that link to all differnt types of manufacters

any you SHOULD DEFINETLY try this before running out and buying a new drive

good luck

LambOfGod said:
Alright let me rephrase he CAN reinstall its just a matter of setting the correct boot order, presssing a key.

and having a working harddrive...

Another method that Asmodean forgot to mention, is to try a low level format, sometimes called writng 0s to the drive.

you can get the utility that does this process here.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low-level-format.html

there are links in that link to all differnt types of manufacters

any you SHOULD DEFINETLY try this before running out and buying a new drive

good luck

Good point Lamb, Maxtor's PowerMAX can also do that if you end up using it.:)

Back
Top Bottom