Crashes doing 3D stuff (drivers are updated)

arke

Solid State Member
I finally figured out my previous problem. You can read about it here: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=45349&page=1&pp=15 . Quick summary is that I got periodic freezing which seems to have been caused by GPU overheating, and undervolting my CPU for less consumption fixed it.

Specs:
Medion MD42200 Laptop
Intel Centrino M
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility
Realtek AC'97 onboard sound

However, now 3D stuff is generally unstable (and only 3D stuff). I had the newer Catalyst drivers installed, then I downgraded to the old ATI drivers that I got with the computer (and have served me well for 1.5 years), then I reinstalled Windows again and installed only the old ATI drivers. No difference.

Here are a few examples of the behavior:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Refuses to run at 1024x768 (crashes right away) but will start up at 800x600
  • Crashes pretty quickly when playing the game, especially when doing things like exiting the house or driving to another area.

Racer.nl
  • Refuses to run at 1024x768 just like GTA:SA, but only with the new ATI drivers
  • Occasionally, when loading a race, will simply crash
  • Sometimes, during a race, it freezes with sound making a "pop" then disappearing. Pressing escape returns to the Racer menu as usual, but there won't be any more sound until Racer is restarted.

Judging from the last Racer item I put there, I had the idea that it might be the sound card. I have not yet tried installing newer drivers, however I find it extremely unlikely because
  • Those same drivers worked before for 1.5 years, through various Windows reinstalls
  • It only happens with 3D games
  • My sound card intensive sequencer program (FL Studio 6) has absolutely no trouble at all with sound, both with the regular DX sound drivers as shipped and the ASIO4ALL sound layer

Any ideas? I will probably try new AC'97 drivers lately although I'm absolutely certain that won't help.

LAN Party starts tomorrow :(

you sure it isnt because uve undervolted the cpu? if its not getting enough power it will crash etc. u shudnt raelly have to do that anyway.

Yes, undervolting your CPU will generally cause a lot of stability issues. If you HAVE to undervolt it for some reason, lower the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed until it is stable. If the FSB speed isn't getting enough power for the speed it's at, then there's going to be problems.

Definately just try updating the sound drivers, who knows it may fix some things.

I'm not really getting computer crashes, only 3D application crashes. But I will try finding a balance between 3D freezing and 3D crashes ... :(

And my sequencer just shit itself a few times so maybe it is the sound stuff afterall. Gonna try updating the drivers, and if that doesnt help, disabling the sound and trying the games again.

Btw, the CPU right now is running on a 100MhZ clock, 17x Multiplier, and 1.004 volts - thats 1.7Ghz with 1.004 volts, factory setting (and also highest possible setting) is 1.304 volts.

I bumped the voltage one step, turned off audio acceleration completely, and now things work (except being latent). Even my sequencer works.

Its not ideal but I'm not gonna mess with it until the LAN party is over.

Thanks for teh help

Back
Top Bottom