Helppp Video Card Problem

joe645733

Baseband Member
hey whats up. i bought an ati 1600 pro 512MB video card. and it worked the first day i bought it on a 250watt power supply. then i bought a 500 watt power supply.

and it still didnt work...

so earlier tonight, i went and returned the video card, for the same one. (thinking maybe i burned the card).

so...i installed it, and it still didnt work. the pc turns on, but all the fans just stay going at full speed and the busy light goes on. no picture shows up. so ill turn it off, remove the card, and then turn it on, and the pc works...

i dont get what the hell is wrong with this damn thing. ive been going to compusa for the past 5 days in a row.

NOTE: when installing the power supply to the drives and all. it doesnt really matter what order theyre in right?

if anyone needs pics or something, let me know. or do u think its the AGP slot that's messed up? but why would that mess with my whole pc operating correctly??

It does sound like your AGP slot is fried. It's not really messing with your computer, only when you try to put a video card in it, does it mess with your computer, and not allow it to boot. Have you tried putting the 250w power supply back in, and seeing if it will boot? There could be more issues than just the video card going on. What model is your motherboard?

AMD 3000+
512 RAM
160 GB

yeah but i just bought the new graphics card today. brand new. and i bought the 500 watt yesterday...then today, i went in my BIOS. and changed the video type to AGP. i tried it again, and still didnt work. this fuckin sucks. now i need to buy a whole new motherboard just because of ATI.

I'm trying to figure out why you only had a 250w power supply, with that equipment. Is that an Emachine? What kind of computer is it?

What is the model of your motherboard?

are you sure all the correct power connecters are plugged in on the board.

that video card may need additional power, plugged into the card.

double check, and see if you have the power plugged into the card.

LambOfGod said:
that video card may need additional power, plugged into the card.

double check, and see if you have the power plugged into the card.

yep, thats what I 1st thought about after reading the problem.

i do have the AGP model.
it also did come with the additional power plug. Dont i plug the small one to the video card/then the big one to my hard drive, then the hardrive's to the extension plug? then after that, its just plugs from the power supply to the cd-rom/and dvd player/burner.

this is a compaq. but its pretty new. maybe 2 years old? but came with a dvd burner and all so u know it cant be that old.
i'm getting the impression that my AGP is burned..if it is. ill be pissed. then ill have to buy a whole new motherboard just cuz of their video card. i've been on hold with ATI for like, 25 minutes right now. so idk whats up

LambOfGod said:
There are agp cards that require the extra power as well
possibly, but some guy pointed out an Antec true power 350watt at first. he told me that would work perfectly. so then it didnt work after that, so i went back and had enough so i just thought id buy a huge power supply.

Back
Top Bottom