What video card should I use?

Newblett

Beta member
Hi all,

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but i need help choosing what video to use.

I bought a computer with a onboard NVidiaGeForce 6150 LE but a friend is giving me a ATI Radeon 9250 he doesn't need anymore. Should I use the Radeon or should I just keep using my onboard NVidia. I don't know if it helps or not, but I use this computer mostly for gamming. :D

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Radeon will be faster, since it's not onboard. An integrated graphics chip shares RAM with the system, and the card has it's own RAM. So basically, using the card will free up some RAM, allowing the computer to run faster.

Either way though, you can't play current games with either of those chips unless you like your resolution to be at 800 by 600 with all the lowest settings. If you're a serious gamer, you're going to need a newer graphics card. I'd recommend the GeForce 7600GT. The below link is the XXX edition, which is slightly overclocked to run faster, so the fan goes faster and is consequently noiser to to the excess heat.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2427578&CatId=1560

I'd say go for the ati 9250.
Just test some game or benchmark program with the 9250 and the current onboard vid card and see which card is better. But I'm pretty sure it's the 9250.

NVidia
* Core Clock: 475 MHz

* Memory: 128MiB shared DDR400

Radeon
*Installed Memory- 256 MB

*Memory Tech- DDR SDRAM

*Memory Data Width- 128-bit

*Installed Memory / Technology- 256 MB (DDR SDRAM)

I cant find much specs on the onboard NVidia using google. But this is all I can find at the moment, does it help?

Definately the Radeon.

Really though, you should think about buying a new graphics card. They're going for pretty cheap right now, and it does add a lot to the gaming experience by increasing FPS (frames per second) and letting you crank up the visual quality.

Thanks for the replies.

Well the game im currently playing works fine with my onboard, so i'll try the ati and see if it makes any difference. When I move on to a newer game i'll definitly look into buying that GeForce 7600GT.

thx again for all the help :)

Back
Top Bottom