More important: Degree, Experince, or Certifications?

reidikus

Solid State Member
I am currently working at a College in TN, and I love my job but I want something more technical and with room for advancement. I have started looking for a new job, and I have had several 1st and 2nd interviews only to be turn down because I was not A+, and or Net+ certified, despite having a BS in CIS (minor in Econ, which isn't relevant I know), and quite a bit of expericnce. I am thinking about going to buy An A+ study guide and schedule the test soon. Just wanted to get some other input on the subject. Thanks.

A lot of the times its degree and experiance. Sometimes if you have the certs they will treat that as the experiance. IMO What Degree you have and from where you got it is the most inportiant qualification. I personally am going for a degree in Information Systems Security, and rescearched the same question.

Experience is what's most important...however getting that experience (the right kind) usually involves having a degree or certification first.

Unfortunatly Degrees and Certificates are more important.

No company, business, or corporation will even think of hiring you with out good certification, or a degree. Being A+ certified does not necessarily qualify you to do crap, but if you have a degree in the field, then your much more likely to get hired.

Experince helps, but to get the experince a Degree or usually a multitude of Certificates is needed. The more experince you do get, the better workplace you will be able to workin. Think of it like a pyramid , the foundation is certification/degrees, and the rest is experince.

mayorredbeard said:
Unfortunatly Degrees and Certificates are more important.

No company, business, or corporation will even think of hiring you with out good certification, or a degree. Being A+ certified does not necessarily qualify you to do crap, but if you have a degree in the field, then your much more likely to get hired.

Experince helps, but to get the experince a Degree or usually a multitude of Certificates is needed. The more experince you do get, the better workplace you will be able to workin. Think of it like a pyramid , the foundation is certification/degrees, and the rest is experince.

I beg to differ, I have 7 years experience and not a single cert or degree, in fact I'm completely self taught and I get at least 3 emails a day from a resume I have on Monster that I haven't updated or renewed in 6 months

*edit- and a great job with a huge law firm in Baltimore, but you will earn more money to start with a degree and certs, If I had the time I'd go for a bachlors and my MCSE, MCSA, CCNE, CCNA, but with work, kids and friends I dont have time to do it, so if you're young and you have the time you can't go wrong with a formal education

Work on getting your degrees and certifications and then go out and get as much quality experience as you can.

Back
Top Bottom