need help installing a western digital hardrive

kevkid

Baseband Member
i just bought it off of newegg but dont you need some software???
or do i use the dell resource disk?????
please help

Can you be more specific? Is it a Sata drive or IDE? What are your specs also.

sata harddrive
i dont know what to do
the bios recognises it but when i try to install windows it tells me that no harddrive is detected

click run, then type "diskmgmt.msc" just without the question marks. it opens teh disk managment system. in there you can assign the drive a letter, and format it, then the rest of windows should reconize it. if disk managment doesn not see it, check your connections. (altho considering bios sees it i do not think this will be a problem).

the thing is that im trying to install windows but the windows xp disk dosnt recognise this
all it dose is just say windows dosnt recognise any disk

is their an ata HDD connected already? if so, try unplugging it then see if the install CD will reconize it.

Can you clarify what you need to do? From what I understand, you bought a new hard drive and you're trying to install Windows on it?

It seems like the jumper settings on the drive may be set wrong. Try simply taking out the little white tab that is connected to some of the pins. It should be instered in the spot where it says master/slave selector in the diagram.

installing-hard-drive-fig-1-2.jpg

freestyler105 said:
It seems like the jumper settings on the drive may be set wrong. Try simply taking out the little white tab that is connected to some of the pins. It should be instered in the spot where it says master/slave selector in the diagram.

installing-hard-drive-fig-1-2.jpg

its a SATA drive, so it won't have jumper settings for master and slave.

I would make sure it's plugged into the SATA 0 port (I think that's the one...) On mine there's two, SATA 0 and SATA 1, I leave mine on SATA 0 since it's the first one. Try that and see if it works.

my hard drive is SATA and has master/slave settings and i had the same problem, but i moved the jumper and it worked

Back
Top Bottom