AM2 vs. 939

railmaster7

Baseband Member
im going to build a new computer and had all my parts picked out one of which was AMD X2 4400 socket 939...then socket AM2 came out and i was wondering what are some advantages to having AM2 over socket 939?

AM2 is the Next suported platform for AMD, of Course, they could always change to another in a few months anyway. Speaking of Way Ahead/Way behind, Allen looks like its time for an upgrade. I've Always loved AMD Price/Performance aspect. Of course you get what you pay for, but most people cant afford $800 proccessors.

Railmaster7 said:
im going to build a new computer and had all my parts picked out one of which was AMD X2 4400 socket 939...then socket AM2 came out and i was wondering what are some advantages to having AM2 over socket 939?

if your building a new AMD pc go AM2

If you absolutely need AMD get AM2 so you can upgrade in the future, but really, even as an AMD fan, Core 2 Duo's are simply better.

The guy is asking which AMD socket is better, not a fanboy parade about Core 2 Duo. :rolleyes:

AM2 has a better future, mainly because companies are adopting it and AMD is EOL'ing Socket 939 processors as time goes by. If you need something cheap and performance worthy, Socket 939 will provide almost the same performance as AM2. Until AMD releases a new architecture for AM2, you won't notice much difference.

yeah really not much of a difference between the two right now. The AM2 processors use a little less wattage but aside from that there isn't a whole lot to praise about atm.

Yeah, I'd say if you're building a new one def. go with AM2, otherwise, it's totally not worth upgrading from a 939. You can still use 939 coolers, but I'd recommend getting a Thermalright rev. b retention bracket if you use a large HSF. I found out the hard way when my bracket broke due to the weight of the Freezer64 pro being on 2 pegs instead of 6 like on the 939 bracket.

Get the AM2 because it's newer. That's it. I always like to get things that are newer. That's the whole point of the "upgrade". No need to get Socket 939. The newer Athlon 64 Socket AM2 have all the same features as the Athlon 64 Socket 939, but has DDR2 support and faster buses.

AM2 can handle AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ and 939 can only get AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with low caches and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom