STeven159159

In Runtime
Okay hey guys
since my computer now is turing 3 years old
MY rig;
AMD Athlon 3200+
1.5gb ddr
fx 5500/6600

and i was just wondering it being infested with viruses that i cant get out im thinking of buying a new computer or just making one with using my gfx card [6600 256 agp] and the ram[1.5 gb ddr]. Which is a better desicion getting a new computer or making one.???
and any suggestions on parts/computer i shouls get i have a maximum of spending about 650/700$ USD.

depends what u want to use it for and your budget, sorry but im dont know US prices! but now its often cheaper to buy a pre made pc than to make it urself. depends on what u have left over usuable from ur old pc, the problem with ur gfx is its agp and most new motherboards are pcie. and what speed is the ddr? if its slower, it will bring down the speed of the new pc as a whole

basically if its for games etc then it might be worth upgrading the gfx and ram , if its for general use then prob better off buyin a pre made one if u can afford it for ur budget. hopefully someone else can help better than me :)

okay i think im going to just replace the case and psu and then reformat my hd
which psu/case can fit for the parts in my computer now[hp a706n]
i think thtll be cheaper

You might as well buy/build a new one, dual core processors are now a standard and currently prices are at an all time low. If you just want to use that machine for everyday tasks (e-mail, word processing, surfing the web) it would be ok, but for gaming etc. it's gonig to be obsolete in a few months, especially with the AGP graphics.

If you want a new one, I would recommend the following:
- 1-2 GB of PC3200 / DDR2 RAM
- Dual core processor AMD: Athlon X2 4800+ or Intel: Core 2 Duo E6600
- A motherboard with PCI Express support
- Probably a Geforce 7600GT/ATI X1600XT

That might be above your price range, I don't know, but that would definately be a nice PC that would last around 2 years until you need to upgrade again.

STeven159159 said:
okay i think im going to just replace the case and psu and then reformat my hd

if the sole reason for wantig a new computer was because of the viruses and stuff, then this is probally your best way. However, like some1 before me said, your stuff will be obsolete soon.

the only change i'd make to freestyle's reccomondations is at least PC5300 DDR2 in stead of the pc3200 DDR2. (or if price is not a limit, go for teh 6400 if your board can support that fast of ram.)

Too many good buys on new computers. Check out what you can buy at what price at fstguide.com/pcchecklist.htm

Back
Top Bottom