Upgrading my computer!

ownage said:
So....what is so good about Rosewill? Do you have an oscilliscope to test ripple? How much do the rails flucuate under load? Does it work well in heat? Those performance tests show that other power supplies are proven better than the cheapo ones. Powersupplies prove the saying "you get what you pay for" Why do you think the Win-Tact built PC P&C, Zippy, or Etasis built Silverstones cost so much? The Win-Tact have a regulation of 1% and are tested in an environment to 50*C.

haha yea man. Then why do you drive a civic instead of a Ferrari??

MONEY!

the Rosewill fits the budget, 1 Year so far, i will pm in a couple more years to let you know its still going strong.

I would recommend the Antec I linked you to - you don't want to spend $600 on a PC to find that you've had a power surge and as you didn't spend enough money on a PSU it didn't block it properly and you've got no PC.

Definitely buy your RAM off a decent company - you wouldn't skimp on a CPU or graphics card, so why do so on your RAM?

Crucial have a 10th anniversary special RAM series out - I would recommend you take a look at that. It has very tight latency timings, is good value, and looks pretty funky too!

Crucial 1GB PC2-5300

If I had a $200 budget for 1gig of ram I'd get it. But im on a 80-130 budget for ram.
Also, the Rosewills are reviewed well, why do you say that it won't be able to protect me from a possible power surge.

Cheap PSU often aren't as reliable or efficient as more expensive ones - I was using surges as an example, but you also find they draw more from the mains and under relatively heavy stress they can actually blow up. Of course, thats just my opinion - I would rather pay a bit extra for a decent PSU than have to replace my hard ware, and as I'm also into overclocking the stable volts are always good.

For the RAM then, I would recommend:

TwinMOS DDR2 1GB stick

This would give you a good upgrade path to 2GB if you wanted it, and I have TwinMOS RAM in this PC - I find it very reliable.

However, if you don't want to think about upgrading to 2GB, then you could get this:

OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2

This is good value - $114.99 with a mail in rebate, and is even guaranteed to a higher clock than you need while being cheaper than ones which are guaranteed to lower speeds - if you ever want to overclock, this will be extremely useful, and for the price it looks good.

I'm not pointing out Rosewill as a specific manufacturer - if you look, I said cheap PSUs, not Rosewill PSUs :p

yea you didnt, but this whole thread has been focusing around rosewills PSUs

so lets keep on topic

fyi, someone said this earlier about newegg, and reviews, however, something worth looking at..

Antec (a widely known company) has 4 eggs, and the lastest reviews on newegg, talk about a lot of the PSU's slipping in quality and blowing up..

Rosewell (not so widley known) has 5 eggs, and some of their psu's have over 70 reveiws and all are good.

In all honesty...this is common sense, and lesser known company is going to make a better product because they want to outsell the better known companies....Its bad buisness ethics, to sell a shaddy PSU when you are lesser known. Just something to consider...A bigger known company like Antec can and will get away with selling people shabby products because it is well know and people remain loyal to their company they buy from. That also is good buisness ethics. Selling a couple shabby products so you buy more from them. The consumers are the dumb ones (yes i am too) that remain loyal to the "bigger" brands and shell out the money for the name. Consumers may always be right, but mostly we are sheep.

Edit: Also, with a bigger company like Antec they are looking for ways to dumb down the quality of the product to cut expensives because they know everyone will buy them because of their name. Which is why i think they are their quality is slipping. Cut expensives + people buy because of the name= more money... so companies like Rosewell want to make a better quality to sell more, to become like antect... Its a cycle..

thats my rant...

Back
Top Bottom