Periodic freezing for 1-5 minutes

arke said:
Somebody suggested GPU overheating so I'm gonna take a look at that.

if it is your video card over heating (and you can use everest to find out. i saw a link for the free version somewhere on here) there is a quick, easy, $10 fix. its called an exasust. (i'm sure my spelling is off, but same thing as where the smoke an crap come out of a car). it goes in an empty I/O slot (preferably right below the video card) and draws in hot air from right above it. this way, your card is constally having its hot air drawn away if your card only has a passive heat sink. these work great and seem (from my own experiance) to push more air than normal fans.

I'm starting to think that its likely the fan. Before the first reinstall, I had the computer undervolted, so maybe now the excess heat isn't getting out and freezing the ATI driver. I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to clean the fan without opening the thing or breaking anything, and then I'm gonna try undervolting again (using NHC again). I'll let you know my progress.

Some viruses basically take the form of a system process, but since you're reformating, I don't think that's the problem.

If the videocard isn't integrated, try taking that out, and see what happens.

go into your your computer properties by right clicking on the desktop, and go to display properties and hit advanced button.

then go to Troubleshoot. Turn your hardware acceleration to about half way. I beleive all radeon series cards have the option to turn down hardware acceleration. Often this works, lemme know if it does.

mayorredbeard said:
go into your your computer properties by right clicking on the desktop, and go to display properties and hit advanced button.

then go to Troubleshoot. Turn your hardware acceleration to about half way. I beleive all radeon series cards have the option to turn down hardware acceleration. Often this works, lemme know if it does.

Ooh, I didn't think of doing that, thanks! Will try it now and let you know.

Tried that, it basically gave me a permanent FPS of 0.5 or something :cool:

So, now I'm gonna go install nhc and see what sort of GPU temperatures I'm getting. And then I'll also go about undervolting again, like I had it before.

Theres a LAN party this weekend and I don't have another computer that I could use if this one doesnt work :(

Ok, Everest didnt show me GPU temperature and neither did NHC so I guess there is no sensor for it. I just went through the standard undervolting procedure, and I went from 1.304 factory setting to 0.988 stable :eek:

So, now I'm gonna try my thing again. I also blew a bit of air into the fan outlet on the side to clear out dust (hopefully).

SUCCESS! I just played racer for 45 minutes straight without any problems!

Thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom