My day : who the hell invented computers!!

j.venning

In Runtime
Today was one of those days that you would like to rewind and start again, but unfortunately, you can't.

It all started when I installed the lovely new stylish version of Windows Vista, which allowed me to upgrade from Windows XP leaving me with a good mind that it will allow me to de-grade when I please, I was wrong. Yesterday was the final day, I had had enough of the slow, buggy, memory draining monstrosity that was before my eyes so I decided it had to go, but wait a second, where is the un-install option??

After hours of searching for this lifeline, I decided to get rid of the whole darn lot. But that would be a headache of its own; due to my other computer also being violently ill, I had to backup 100GB of data on to tiny IBM Thinkpad hard drives which I have in only 8GB versions - very annoying.

Backup done. Now Dell has specified that if I boot my Laptop and press Ctrl + F12, the recovery partition will engage and I will be able to re-install back to normal, again, I was wrong. The remedy didn't work and after more hours of searching, I discovered that their was no partition to be found at all. I was not a happy bunny.

Fortunately, I had to hand my other computers XP install disc. Now I have heard that it is legal to re-install using the same operating system providing that you use your own legitimate serial number, in which case I did. The install went well and I was on route to success, I was wrong AGAIN.

Please activate windows via the internet is displayed before my eyes, Windows has not installed my netwok card or wireless card so that made it completely pointless. I chose the activate via telephone which helpfully gave me no installation ID to provide the Indian Microsoft activation guidance with, icing on my day!

After a very expensive premium rate call, I decided I had to go bad. Being very illiegal, I somehow magically came upon a non legitimate serial number which I thought I would type in and then contact Dell to resolve the problem, great, it worked. WRONG AGAIN!

Upon letting me into Windows, I installed my wireless network drivers and was set going, following that, I was bombarded with Spyware which provided me with allsorts of pictures, websites and explict content enough to kill anyones computer. I shut my laptop down and restarted :

SYSTEM32 Cannot be found.

I cried.

Awww Man I hate those days, always with my computer tooo, I hate one problem after anougher I physicly get angry and start punching the walls, not a good temper I have, and I want to deal with computers the rest of my life haha, I ushally talk to my pc and yell at it why I am trying to sort the problem out, I do in the end, but I swear sometimes a pc has a mid of it's own when it's tuned off in the middle of the night as I turn it on in the morning I always dare to wait for what I see..... System 32 cannot be found or Boot.ini whatever, I always dare something that's going to happan.

Hope it worked out for you....

j.venning said:
.... It all started when I installed the lovely new stylish version of Windows Vista, which allowed me to upgrade from Windows XP leaving me with a good mind that it will allow me to de-grade when I please .....
Your problems start here ...... there is no such option (as you discovered) the rest follows on from the "new" BCD that Vista uses to replace the MBR.

It is well documented that the recommendation for installing Vista is on a seperate hdd if dual booting and a pc with non critical data if doing an upgrade.

I sympathise with your situation but it could have all been avoided with a little research prior to the install.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Throwing things works :)

I think i was the one who invented computers....NOT..i WIsh though.

Usually, when it comes to something like this, I usually get mad and I treat my PC as if they were a piece of garbage.

Well, it happens. And, once you're done, do me...no, do both you and I a favor: Throw that Vista disc out.

We've all had days like that. Some more than others. I just try not to get discouraged when it happens and stay clam (which is much easier said that done sometimes), makes for a faster solution.

That's the usualy way to go, but sometimes, when it just refuses to work and the PC slowly screws up, then now, you're getting a little more rage.

Like when my OC give me the freak, I tried to OC it, and mobo "fried". It was the BIOS that hung, and I wasn't too suprised.

Back
Top Bottom